+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calculator discrepancy

ezlib

Jul 20, 2015
Dear friends

We are just starting out on our citizenship application. I would appreciate some help in regards to the online calculator.

Some background on our application:
Only eligible to apply in 2017, but working on all papers to get all of our documents in order.
Landed April 2, 2010 only stayed that weekend.
Went back to work for 18 months in various countries. (20+ international flights)
Came back to Canada permanently January 2013.
So, I have to complete the residency calculation from 2011 - 2016
As mentioned above, I was not at all in Canada in 2011 or 2012.
I filled the calculator with all stamps from the last 6 years.

According to the calculator, I was in Canada for 11 days in 2011 and 5 days in 2012. I am guessing it has something to do with all of my flights, arrivals and time zones... but I am baffled! I am sure I was not in Canada during that time...

I would appreciate any help with this issue.
Thank you

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
ezlib said:
Dear friends

We are just starting out on our citizenship application. I would appreciate some help in regards to the online calculator.

Some background on our application:
Only eligible to apply in 2017, but working on all papers to get all of our documents in order.
Landed April 2, 2010 only stayed that weekend.
Went back to work for 18 months in various countries. (20+ international flights)
Came back to Canada permanently January 2013.
So, I have to complete the residency calculation from 2011 - 2016
As mentioned above, I was not at all in Canada in 2011 or 2012.
I filled the calculator with all stamps from the last 6 years.

According to the calculator, I was in Canada for 11 days in 2011 and 5 days in 2012. I am guessing it has something to do with all of my flights, arrivals and time zones... but I am baffled! I am sure I was not in Canada during that time...

I would appreciate any help with this issue.
Thank you
Most likely explanation is an error in entering information into the calculator.

Do it again and be especially careful in getting all dates right.

Note: do not rely on passport stamps. Report all actual dates.

It is absolutely important to not rely on passport stamps for entering information in the calculator. The applicant must accurately and completely report all dates of exit and dates of entry into Canada. Get the dates right. Be sure to include all trips. Passport stamps are often incomplete. Moreover, passport stamps can reflect the date for the day after an exit (if based on entry into another country) whereas the applicant is required to report the actual date of exit.

ezlib

Jul 20, 2015
Dear Dpenabill

Thank you. I did it 3 times now, still showing that I was in Canada during periods in 2011 and 2012. I am wondering if the calculator calculates the date of travel (in this case to and from another country) as entries and exits from Canada... I guess the calculator is set to calculate absences from Canada... not taking in consideration that entry and exit in this case was from another country for a whole year? My entries and exits are from France, South Africa and Norway.

I also have all my travel documents for travel during those times - it does match my passport stamps.

So, to clarify the website suggests that the calculator does not count the days that you enter or exit as absences, but rather than days you were in the country. So, it looks like the calculator considers a day I had a flight from Paris to Johannesburg as a day I was present in Canada....which I was not... sorry, to sound confusing, but this is the only way I can explain why it shows that I was in the country and a truly was not.

Hope this clarifies my problem.

Thanks

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The mistake is because of the entry and exits you put for other countries. Delete those and simply put the exit date from Canada in 2010 and then show the arrival date in 2013. In the description you can give the countries you were in during the period. I would recommend an additional page with rows showing the travels outside Canada during 2010 - 2013.

ezlib

Jul 20, 2015
Thinking about it now - I think it might be best if I just add the whole year (with no travel dates) so that it amounts to 0 and then add a plain paper with all my flights listed in my passport... no idea. Just thinking

Thanks again

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It appears you have identified the mistake made in what was previously entered into the presence calculator.

Nonetheless, to be clear:

The calculator requires the applicant to enter exact dates for each date there was an exit from Canada and for the date of the next entry into Canada.

Information regarding travel to and from other countries, between the date of exit from Canada and the next date of entry into Canada, should be entered into the "Reason" box. The instructions indicate that the applicant merey needs to list the names of the countries visited. If this information is voluminous, I concur that it would be a good idea to note, in the Reason box, that there was extensive travel between other countries during that respective time period, and state that the details are listed on a separate page. And do that, list additional international travel on a separate page, and probably a good idea to list dates along with countries even though the instruction does not call for this (this would enable a bureaucrat to quickly correlate travel indicated in Travel Documents with what is reported by the applicant, reducing the risk of confusion). Note, however, on that separate page be sure to clearly indicate the relevant period of time with a heading that identifies the respective date of exit from Canada and date of next entry into Canada.

In any event, if you correctly enter into the calculator all exact dates you exited Canada and next date of entry into Canada, the calculator will give you an accurate accounting.

ezlib said:
I also have all my travel documents for travel during those times - it does match my passport stamps.
Whatever sources of information are used to help the applicant enter the information into the calculator, the applicant's obligation is to accurately report the actual date of exit from Canada and next date of entry into Canada for all trips. Along with failing to follow instructions, or leaving gaps in address or work history, the next most common cause for problems, in processing otherwise qualified applicants, is an incomplete or inaccurate declaration of trips in the Physical Presence Calculation. This is often due to the applicant relying on incomplete or inaccurate sources.

Prudent PRs keep a travel log so they can make sure to accurately enter all actual dates they exited Canada and entered Canada. (This information also may be required to renew a PR card.)

In the absence of having kept a complete travel log, in addition to doing a thorough cross-check and double-check of all actual dates, as to each and every date of exit and date of entry, it is prudent to make a concerted effort to research one's own history and memory, from bank and credit card accounts, to old emails, asking family and friends, anything that would help trigger remembering any potentially overlooked trip. Failing to report a trip can make the process a lot more unpleasant, even difficult. It is no excuse, if a trip was overlooked and not reported, that the trip was not indicated in Travel Documents.

Note that information in Travel Documents, in particular, is prone to causing error . . . not because the information itself is in error, but because it is not necessarily complete and it does not necessarily indicate the actual date of exit or entry into Canada for all trips.

One of the most common examples is the trans-oceanic flight, evening as well as red eye flights: Travel Documents will usually reflect date of arrival abroad, for example, rather than the previous day on which the traveler actually exited Canada.

Trans-Pacific flights from Canada can be two days off.

An isolated error of this sort is not a big deal, usually anyway. Multiple occasions of this, particularly if in a context where there are other circumstances potentially raising concerns (such as applying with less than a solid margin over the minimum requirement), however, can lead to questions, doubts, outright skepticism, and potentially problematic processing.

Cannot emphasize enough how important it is to get this information right. Or, what is too commonly overlooked, how easy it is to make a mistake.

And be sure to give yourself a comfortable margin, of days in Canada, over the minimum.