+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

calculations

lynn_ca

Oct 10, 2012
hi everybody!

I am reading this forum but since everyone's situation is unique, I ask you guys for your opinion on this:

- I first landed in Canada (became PR) on oct 06 2008 and left on dec 01 2008 (= 57 days)
- I came back on nov 10 2011 and im still here feb 04 2013 (= 453 days)
- so my total is, up to present day, 510 days (220 left to go)
- by my calculations, I will have 730 on sept 12 2013

questions:
1. please confirm if my calculations are correct or not (not sure if the day you arrive and leave Canada are counted as well)

2. I intend to leave Canada for 8 days in summer, so my 730 days will be done on sept 20 2013. is it wise to leave in my situation without any problems when I re-enter the country and later when I apply for PR card renewal?

3. my Pr card expires end of oct 2013, so I hope I'm safe if I make the 730 by september 20. what do you think?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to meet the residency requirement by Oct 6th because that is your landing day. You need 730 days in your first 5 years as a PR and in any rolling 5 year period after that.

lynn_ca

Oct 10, 2012
that means I'm ok to leave for few days if by oct 6th I have 730 days, right?

still dont know if the day you arrive in and leave Canada are counted... (even if its half a day) ::)?

sorry for these 'silly' questions... I dont want to make a mistake, I'm so tight with the deadline... some of you maybe understand me

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can leave for a few days and still meet the residency requirements. However, keep in mind that you are cutting it close. If you break a leg and end up being unable to travel, you might have a problem.

Your travel dates are counted (any part of a day spent in Canada counts as a day spent in Canada) but it looks to me like you already counted them.

Also make sure when you apply to copy all the pages of your passport and reference the stamps to your trips. If you apply very close to the 730 day limit, immigration may be more likely to ask for a residency questionnaire which will seriously delay your application.

zoezozo

Feb 5, 2013
I have a question regarding residency calculations

Hi!

I am filling out my residency calculator, and I can see from my passport when I returned to Canada, but what if I am not sure of the exact date I left? If I dont have an exact record, can it be a big problem? T here are a couple of trips I took at the beginning of my 4 year period I am not positive of the exact day :-[

Thankyou! Z

lynn_ca

Oct 10, 2012
Leon: true, I counted those days too but I just wanted to double check with an expert ;)

I dont know what residency questionnaire you are referring to... and I dont have any stamps in my passport except the ones when I entered Canada in 2008, respectively 2011.
I have the plane tickets saved in my mail, though.

if you have a link to that questionnaire, that would be very helpful... thanks for the prompt reply...

Zoezozo: sorry I cant help you with that info, I read somewhere that its possible to check with CBSA, but personally dont know anyone who did that.

maybe you have your plane tickets saved in your mail...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: I have a question regarding residency calculations

lynn_ca said:
I dont know what residency questionnaire you are referring to... and I dont have any stamps in my passport except the ones when I entered Canada in 2008, respectively 2011.
I have the plane tickets saved in my mail, though.
A residency questionnaire is what happens to people immigration decides not to believe. It means they will delay you application forever while they call you in for an interview and ask you to prove your days in Canada. It is not really just some typed up page of a questionnaire you'd have to answer.

zoezozo said:
I am filling out my residency calculator, and I can see from my passport when I returned to Canada, but what if I am not sure of the exact date I left? If I dont have an exact record, can it be a big problem? T here are a couple of trips I took at the beginning of my 4 year period I am not positive of the exact day :-[
It will be a big problem if immigration has some info that doesn't match yours. You can order your info from CBSA here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-priv-eng.html