+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calculation of 6 months stay

nilaoyezhu

May 10, 2016
Hi guys,

My wife has been living in Canada since Mar 01 and her application for the spousal sponsorship (including the work permit) has just been sent yesterday. We are now waiting for the work permit, however, it is very unlikely that the permit would arrive before Sep 01. We are not sure if she can continue to stay here with a visitor visa after that.

We know that you can stay in Canada for 6 months in a year with a visitor visa only. However, we don't know the exact meaning of the 6 months rule. My wife has left Canada twice during the past 3 months, and her time away from Canada should be around 30 days. We are wondering if we can add the 30 days and assume that she could legally stay here until Sep 30 without extending the visitor visa.

Every time she entered Canada she was using the kiosks, so there are no Canadian stamps on her visa at all.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

My wife has been living in Canada since Mar 01 and her application for the spousal sponsorship (including the work permit) has just been sent yesterday. We are now waiting for the work permit, however, it is very unlikely that the permit would arrive before Sep 01. We are not sure if she can continue to stay here with a visitor visa after that.

We know that you can stay in Canada for 6 months in a year with a visitor visa only. However, we don't know the exact meaning of the 6 months rule. My wife has left Canada twice during the past 3 months, and her time away from Canada should be around 30 days. We are wondering if we can add the 30 days and assume that she could legally stay here until Sep 30 without extending the visitor visa.

Every time she entered Canada she was using the kiosks, so there are no Canadian stamps on her visa at all.

Thanks
There is no six months within a year rule.

The six months your wife is allowed to visit starts with the time she last entered Canada - unless she received a passport stamp only allowing a shorter visit by CBSA.