+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Calculating Physical Presence While On Holiday

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
Hi Everyone,
I am currently visiting my family in the states and have been since March 19th, 2021.
I have been asking a friend to check my email since I submitted my application on Jan 21th, 2021.
Sadly, today my application was returned since I forgot to tick one of the boxes, pertaining to "served as a member of an armed force of a country or territory....". Complete over-sight on my end.

I am currently out of Canada but wanted to re-submit my application ASAP since I will not be back until mid July 2021. I understand that I need to re-calculate my physical presence days via the calculator.

My question is, on the physical presence form, do I note that I have been out of Canada since March 19th, 2021 and provide an expected date of return? Or do I not mention it at all and just provide the same dates as I initially did? I will be asking my friend to re-submit the application for me while I am out of the country.

Hoping someone can advise the best route forward with this.
Thanks.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Or do I not mention it at all and just provide the same dates as I initially did?
Not mentioning your holiday outside of Canada in the physical presence form is misrepresentation. Go ahead and mention the return date when you do declare your current absence in the physical presence form.

As long as you fulfilled 1095 days in the last 5 years from the day you sign the application, you should still be eligible in spite of your current absence.

You cannot use the original Jan 21, 2021 sign date, as it would be stale-dated. Signatures cannot be more than 90 days old. It's in the guide:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0001-application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors-proof-citizenship-section-3.html

Alternatively, you can submit your application online if you are applying on your own and you are not claiming residency outside of Canada.

Last edited:

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
Hi Bellaluna,
Thanks for the reply, highly appreciate it
I want to make sure there is no misrepresentation, hence why I wanted to pose the question here.
I am just afraid that stating a future date might cause them to return my application back, which could further delay the process, rather than waiting until I am back in Canada, which wont be for a couple of months
I have fulfilled the requirement of 1095 days as I have barely travelled outside of Canada within the last 5 years.
I was also going to re-sign the form with the latest date, and make sure that matches the physical presence calculator date too

I was not aware you could submit your application online, could you provide more information on this please ?

Once again, thanks for the guidance.

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
Hi Bellaluna,
Appreciate you clarifying the matter. And thank you for providing the link to apply online.