+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying house on Workpermit with 5% downpayment?

pksr

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
86
1
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 8th2012
AOR Received.
Nov82012
IELTS Request
Sent with Applications
Med's Request
waiting..
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
Dear Friends,

Can I buy a house with 5% as downpayment when i'm still on WP and my PR is on process???
I heard for WP holders its 35% to 20% else the loan wont be approved.. but also heard there is posibility in exceptional cases for 5%..

I could wait till I get PR,but the prices are going up and I'm afraid wont be able to afford the house which we want..
Need positive answers and its posibilities for 5% downpayment??

Please le me know.

thanks
 

pksr

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
86
1
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 8th2012
AOR Received.
Nov82012
IELTS Request
Sent with Applications
Med's Request
waiting..
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
All, please let me know ur thoughts
 

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
64,688
8,881
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since no one here has replied - I think your best bet is to contact one of the big five banks to see what they are willing to offer / agree to.

Good luck.
 

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
184
4
119
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
the answer is yes.
the thing is if you only put 5% or less down, you have to go through Canada Mortgage Coop(i cant remenber the organization) so your interest rate is bit higher.
but if you pay over 10-20% down, bank will trust you.
when i talked with TD bank, they kinda hesitate to lend money because i am on working permit. they check my asset even they ask my asset in my home country.
so i talked to Scotia bank and told will put 20% down. then my mortgage was approved.
credit union was kinda sucks. they never lend money to temporary workers. have to be landed immigrant.
if you able to put 10-20% down, why not, go buy a house man. i bought a house 2 years ago, but before, my rent was $850/month.
it is worth buying a house than rent.
 

pksr

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
86
1
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 8th2012
AOR Received.
Nov82012
IELTS Request
Sent with Applications
Med's Request
waiting..
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
Pouce said:
the answer is yes.
the thing is if you only put 5% or less down, you have to go through Canada Mortgage Coop(i cant remenber the organization) so your interest rate is bit higher.
but if you pay over 10-20% down, bank will trust you.
when i talked with TD bank, they kinda hesitate to lend money because i am on working permit. they check my asset even they ask my asset in my home country.
so i talked to Scotia bank and told will put 20% down. then my mortgage was approved.
credit union was kinda sucks. they never lend money to temporary workers. have to be landed immigrant.
if you able to put 10-20% down, why not, go buy a house man. i bought a house 2 years ago, but before, my rent was $850/month.
it is worth buying a house than rent.
Thanks Pouce and Scylla for your responses... Yes spoke to TD bank morgage mngr, he told its possible to get mortgage with 5% but the final decision is with cmhc..(canada mortgage housing and corporation) .In my case me and my spouse both are working annd we are going to try our luck..
The below link shows the eligibilty criteria for non-permemant residence(work permit holders)
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/hoficlincl/moloin/hopr/hopr_001.cfm..

Thanks Again will keep u posted on the outcome
 

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
184
4
119
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
Why dont you try other bank?
TD bank is good one but also hard to get mortgage proved.

there are pros and cons that temparary worker buying a house.
disadvantage is
you are not laned immigrant, you have to pay the property sale tax(may be not in your province).
my lawyer is not too sure about that. but i paid for property sale tax.
if you dont pay enough down payment, your mortagge rate will be little bit higher.
if your work permit extention was rejected in future, you will be in trouble.

anyways good luck for your house hunting
 

pksr

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
86
1
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 8th2012
AOR Received.
Nov82012
IELTS Request
Sent with Applications
Med's Request
waiting..
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
Pouce said:
Why dont you try other bank?
TD bank is good one but also hard to get mortgage proved.

there are pros and cons that temparary worker buying a house.
disadvantage is
you are not laned immigrant, you have to pay the property sale tax(may be not in your province).
my lawyer is not too sure about that. but i paid for property sale tax.
if you dont pay enough down payment, your mortagge rate will be little bit higher.
if your work permit extention was rejected in future, you will be in trouble.

anyways good luck for your house hunting
Thanks Pouse, still looking and not yet decided..
From the cmhc links ,i could confirm you need 10% downpayment as a rule for non-permenant residence .
 

Rnaffah

Newbie
Sep 5, 2012
2
0
Apartment in Montreal Concordia

Hello I landed 30 days ago and I am still in
A studio very expensive even food.
I am looking for an apartment near concordia
2and 1/2 but I am leaving after I will
Receive my PR card. I will return end of February so
Can I find an apartment ?
Another question : PR card how long it will
Take to arrive ?
Thank u
 

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
64,688
8,881
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: Apartment in Montreal Concordia

Rnaffah said:
Hello I landed 30 days ago and I am still in
A studio very expensive even food.
I am looking for an apartment near concordia
2and 1/2 but I am leaving after I will
Receive my PR card. I will return end of February so
Can I find an apartment ?
Another question : PR card how long it will
Take to arrive ?
Thank u
PR card will take 10-11 weeks to arrive.
 

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
171
38
Can you please share the Rate of interest that you are paying for 20% down payment?

Pouce said:
the answer is yes.
the thing is if you only put 5% or less down, you have to go through Canada Mortgage Coop(i cant remenber the organization) so your interest rate is bit higher.
but if you pay over 10-20% down, bank will trust you.
when i talked with TD bank, they kinda hesitate to lend money because i am on working permit. they check my asset even they ask my asset in my home country.
so i talked to Scotia bank and told will put 20% down. then my mortgage was approved.
credit union was kinda sucks. they never lend money to temporary workers. have to be landed immigrant.
if you able to put 10-20% down, why not, go buy a house man. i bought a house 2 years ago, but before, my rent was $850/month.
it is worth buying a house than rent.
 

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
184
4
119
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
freek4iphone said:
Can you please share the Rate of interest that you are paying for 20% down payment?
Hi freek4iphone
it depends on a bank what deals they have and also type of martage you have.
Fixed or variable. 5 years or 1 year. etc
mine is 2 years fixed rate 2.49%
 

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
131
10
North Carolina
Category........
FAM
I am currently waiting for my PR status to come thru to move from the US to Canada with my Canadian born husband. We would like to buy a condo in Port Alice BC but he says we have to wait until my PR is granted to qualify for the 95% financing he is prequalified for. Is this the case or is there a loophole for him being a Canadian with strong credit. Any advice will help! I want to go on up and wait for my PR but he says we have to wait or rent until PR comes thru which will eat at our downpayment.
 

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
26,797
5,767
I am currently waiting for my PR status to come thru to move from the US to Canada with my Canadian born husband. We would like to buy a condo in Port Alice BC but he says we have to wait until my PR is granted to qualify for the 95% financing he is prequalified for. Is this the case or is there a loophole for him being a Canadian with strong credit. Any advice will help! I want to go on up and wait for my PR but he says we have to wait or rent until PR comes thru which will eat at our downpayment.
If you are involved in the home purchasing process you will likely have to wait. If your income is needed you will need to wait even longer.
 
May 21, 2018
8
0
I am currently waiting for my PR status to come thru to move from the US to Canada with my Canadian born husband. We would like to buy a condo in Port Alice BC but he says we have to wait until my PR is granted to qualify for the 95% financing he is prequalified for. Is this the case or is there a loophole for him being a Canadian with strong credit. Any advice will help! I want to go on up and wait for my PR but he says we have to wait or rent until PR comes thru which will eat at our downpayment.
There' a loophole. Only put his name on the property. Add Yours after you get PR