+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying a Hyundai car, help!

ElStu

Nov 9, 2017
Hello all,
We're planning to purchase a Hyundai Elantra that has been driven 100,000 KM. I've never used a Hyundai in Edmonton, AB, Canada and would like to know what you guys think, based on your experience? I have used a Honda car in Canada before, but Japanese cars are too expensive at an odometer of 100,000 KM. Please advise.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Schedule a test ride or rent / borrow one and feel the experience yourself!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,
We're planning to purchase a Hyundai Elantra that has been driven 100,000 KM. I've never used a Hyundai in Edmonton, AB, Canada and would like to know what you guys think, based on your experience? I have used a Honda car in Canada before, but Japanese cars are too expensive at an odometer of 100,000 KM. Please advise.
Pay for a very good garage inspection. At 100km you also have to expect that things may start needing to be replaced.

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
I would say it depends the delta price between Hyundai and Honda, if you can afford that extra investment.
Based on my experience, I would still choose a used car Honda up to 150 000 km anytime, especially old models (2000's).
I owned many cars, but I am puzzled and still trying to comprehend how they engineered such cars, especially the engine.
Except notorious rust problems, which I can live with, their mechanics in general do not wear, literally; at 200 000 km my old Honda car has an engine that was working perfectly fine. Zero loss of compression, you could hear the engine operating like a swiss clock, no leak, no abnormal noise.
On the downside, spare parts can be a little bit expensive.
So to me, provided a minimum / descent maintenance has been followed by the previous owner, a 100 000 km Honda is a new car if you can afford the delta price. Just my experience.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
No where near enough information to make a suggestion. What year, what engine, manual, auto or dct transmission? Is it 10 years old with 100k or is it 6 months old with 100k? Best car I ever owned was a Toyota....conversely, the worst car I ever owned was also a Toyota. They all have good and bad points. Japanese cars built in Japan have a better reputation than Japanese cars built elsewhere.

Do your research on reliability (Hyundai had engine issues 2011-2016 with the 2.5, Honda build quality is way down the last 5 years. Start with automotive review sites, look for buyers guides for the particular models you like and check out Transport Canada and NHTSA sites for recall and concerns. If possible ( and preferable) get the service history...dealers can provide this off the serial number. Be Leary of Carfax and the like....it has to be reported before it actually shows up. Check where the car originally came from....eastern cars are notorious for salt corrosion.

This is a decent site to compare models and year. You can establish some trends in models, but beware that some of the complaints are idiots that shouldn’t own cars.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/