Nov-2010
Passport Req..
Mar-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Apr-2011
LANDED..........
Jun-2011
Hi,

Is it possible to buy and register a car without having an Ontario driving license and within the first two months after landing?

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ahaboubi said:
Hi,

Is it possible to buy and register a car without having an Ontario driving license and within the first two months after landing?

Thanks
Buying -- Not a problem...
However, registering it [getting the No. Plates] is going to be problematic. 'Coz, for the No. Plates u need Insurance - and for the insurance u need a Driving License !

Qorax

ahaboubi

Star Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep-2007
Doc's Request.
Mar-2010
Med's Done....
Nov-2010
Passport Req..
Mar-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Apr-2011
LANDED..........
Jun-2011
Thanks for the reply, steaky and qorax. I guess I'll have to wait till getting the license.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
ahaboubi said:
Thanks for the reply, steaky and qorax. I guess I'll have to wait till getting the license.
Why not ask an auto-insurance agency? They will have the correct answer.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Buying -- Not a problem...
However, registering it [getting the No. Plates] is going to be problematic. 'Coz, for the No. Plates u need Insurance - and for the insurance u need a Driving License !

Qorax
Well, in BC you can get the insurance even with your home country driving license. If you have the claim history letter from auto insurance companies from your home country, you can get discount on the auto insurance!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
steaky said:
Well, in BC you can get the insurance even with your home country driving license. If you have the claim history letter from auto insurance companies from your home country, you can get discount on the auto insurance!
In ON they care a ___ for any external license... neither for the Insurance Rate [thru an ON license] with an overseas Clean Driving History... we just have to pay thru our nose.

U guys in BC r lucky !
Qorax

New Ontarian

Apr 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, here comes a question related to this… I should be moving to Canada next June and would be looking for a car to buy… I hold a G driving license (1 year old) and my wife holds a G2 driving license (1 year old).

If I register the car in my name, would my wife be able to drive it? Or it is more dependent on the insurance? Can we jointly be registered for the insurance or what’s the score in ON?

I would really appreciate the best scenario?

Buy the car in my name or my wife’s
What to do with the insurance?

Note: My wife would be the one driving the car most of the time…

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
New Ontarian said:
Ok, here comes a question related to this... I should be moving to Canada next June and would be looking for a car to buy... I hold a G driving license (1 year old) and my wife holds a G2 driving license (1 year old).

If I register the car in my name, would my wife be able to drive it? Or it is more dependent on the insurance? Can we jointly be registered for the insurance or what's the score in ON?

I would really appreciate the best scenario?

Buy the car in my name or my wife's
What to do with the insurance?

Note: My wife would be the one driving the car most of the time...
1. Yes, that scenario is available in ON.
2. Both of u can be party to the same insurance as well... one gets to be the Primary Driver, while the other becomes 'Secondary Driver'.

Qorax