+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

buying a car in a province then transfer registration to another province

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Hello,

There is possibility that I switch province soon.

I plan to buy a used car in the province where I live. I tested the car on the road and I am happy with it. Problem is if I change province, what is best course of action:

a/ wait until plans are clear. Then if change of province is confirmed , look for a car in the new province and buy one
b/ buy the car and if change of province is confirmed, transfer the registration to the new province

I do not know the burden that is implied in case of transfer of plate registration. Could you please shed some light?

Thanks in advance

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

There is possibility that I switch province soon.

I plan to buy a used car in the province where I live. I tested the car on the road and I am happy with it. Problem is if I change province, what is best course of action:

a/ wait until plans are clear. Then if change of province is confirmed , look for a car in the new province and buy one
b/ buy the car and if change of province is confirmed, transfer the registration to the new province

I do not know the burden that is implied in case of transfer of plate registration. Could you please shed some light?

Thanks in advance
1. Buy the car if you want it. If you move you change registration and plates. Depending on the new province you may require a safety check.

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Hi

1. Buy the car if you want it. If you move you change registration and plates. Depending on the new province you may require a safety check.
Thank you for your response.
Is there some other tax / financial burden involved; for example, I heard of PST tax. If that is the case, how much % would it be roughly?