+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buying a Business to Become Common-Law

Carr-Gobet

Jun 9, 2020
My partner was an international student and part time worker here for 5 years but had to go home after work visa expired. We have been conjugal partners for over a year now. I want to sponsor her and daughter under family sponsorship - conjugal partner but I understand that might not work. Currently she owns two rental properties here. but she is thinking of buying a business here so she can come and stay in a common -law relationship, eventually marry. Are there restrictions to do it this way?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My partner was an international student and part time worker here for 5 years but had to go home after work visa expired. We have been conjugal partners for over a year now. I want to sponsor her and daughter under family sponsorship - conjugal partner but I understand that might not work. Currently she owns two rental properties here. but she is thinking of buying a business here so she can come and stay in a common -law relationship, eventually marry. Are there restrictions to do it this way?
If you are retired you also have the option to go live with her if she wants to work? You mention that you are retired and she was a student. Is there a large age difference between you two? She clearly has attempted to move to Canada so there will be some scrutiny on your application.

Carr-Gobet

Jun 9, 2020
No she never applied for PR before...we discussed at some point but she never did. Retired . Significant age difference but have been a 'couple' for sometime. but only separated last year. My extended family is here - she has only a daughter...so we want to live here. Hence we thought if she bought a business then she could live here to run the business ( we think ) we can co-habit ...then marry and apply for PR at some point. Workable? Restrictions about buying a business and working here?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would running a restaurant be too much load for a pensioner? How about her applying as caregiver or tourist in general. You said she has rental incomes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No she never applied for PR before...we discussed at some point but she never did. Retired . Significant age difference but have been a 'couple' for sometime. but only separated last year. My extended family is here - she has only a daughter...so we want to live here. Hence we thought if she bought a business then she could live here to run the business ( we think ) we can co-habit ...then marry and apply for PR at some point. Workable? Restrictions about buying a business and working here?
Coming as an international, student, working in PGWP but not qualifying for PR and buuing 2 rental properties in Canada shows that she wanted to remain in Canada. It is unclear whether you started dating while still married or when already separated but just warning you that things like your situation do create warning signs especially when there is a large age difference. Not insurmountable. No guarantee that she’ll get a WP as owner operator. You will have to look into the program. It is quite a demanding application process. It would be much easier to sponsor as married or common law.

Carr-Gobet

Jun 9, 2020
Thanks for the view point. Maybe it is easier just to have her come here and stay and get married at some point - age notwithstanding. I/we could still buy a business...at some point.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the view point. Maybe it is easier just to have her come here and stay and get married at some point - age notwithstanding. I/we could still buy a business...at some point.
She will need to be prepared not to work for 4-5 months after you’ve been able to submit inland spousal Sponsorship plus OWP. Couples forget to account for delays due to marriage licenses and certificates, etc.

Seems like you both have your own finances. Would just make sense to make sure you both are protecting each other financially for quite some time. We see a lot of examples of marriages breaking down when people have been too trusting.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She can just come to Canada as a visitor, not work, extend her stay lawfully - showing her proof of funds and being transparent about her purpose. Rack up her 12 months with you and then file for Inland Sponsorship with OWP.

Seems simple enough to me.
The issue is the woman needs/wants to work. We doesn’t want to spend 1.5 years not working.

For1d

Sep 16, 2020
Thanks for addressing this topic. I was looking for the information regarding the same. Keep sharing the info, kudos.