+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Business Visa but wishing to stay

Mr L

Dec 23, 2011
Hello,

I have a business visa for a conference that ended few weeks ago and have been to Canada few times but now I am thinking about starting a small business with about $15000 in Canada. My question is, can I change my status to permanent resident with this venture I am trying to embark on and secondly is there some organizations out there in canada that can guide small business people like me to succeed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - unfortunately this isn't enough capital to qualify for permanent residency through the federal immigration program. You need to be willing to make an investment of $800,000 and have a net worth of $1,600,000. This program is also not accepting new applications at this time. See the following page on the CIC for additional details:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/investors/index.asp

You could also take a look at the provincial investor programs. However I don't think the investment you plan to make is sufficient for these programs either.

Mr L

Dec 23, 2011
I Have done the business analysis of starting a group home. I arrived at about $14,500 at least for house rental,supplies for few months before the business could start making money. I have a passion for care giving that is why I want to invest in it. Doesn't this account for something as a starting point while applying for permenent resident? will they reject my application under this basis? or what are my chances?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately a $15K investment is not enough to qualify you for the federal investment program. As I mentioned earlier, this program is not accepting new applications at this time. However even if it was, your application would be rejected since the minimum investment is $800K.

I believe the provincial investor programs all have minimums that are above $15K as well. However please take a look at the requirements - maybe you'll find something that fits what you're looking for. Here's the link to the provincial program information:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

Mr L

Dec 23, 2011
The provincial program that you mentioned was very helpful thank you!!. It sounds more like what I may explore, I read on it and don't quite understand how it works through the province of ontario. I am working on business incorporation and license. I want to know if it will be a part of my documentations during filing? do I need to show funds and assets from my country?

can you please give me more insites or elaborate ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you looking at the Ontario Investors program or are you looking at a different program? The Ontario Investors program requires an investment of at least $3 million.

Can you clarify which specific program in Ontario you're looking at?

Mr L

Dec 23, 2011
Yes! you are right, I never realised you must invest at least 3mill, till I read through it ouch!!. Well! if you know of any other specific program.... Please do let me know.

Thanks alot...

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
You could apply for the skilled worker program, see if you qualify in any of the 29 categories. Another thing you could do is apply for a student visa, but you'd have to apply for a student visa from outside of Canada.

Mr L

Dec 23, 2011
I was talking to the people in some of the private institutions, they mentioned I could apply for student visa, all I could do is show I have the money for room and board which will not be a problem. They said, I could apply for student Visa inside Canada, without having to leave. Is this correct?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Mr L said:
I was talking to the people in some of the private institutions, they mentioned I could apply for student visa, all I could do is show I have the money for room and board which will not be a problem. They said, I could apply for student Visa inside Canada, without having to leave. Is this correct?
No - that's not quite correct.

To qualify for a student visa, you must first apply and be accepted to an educational institution. The course must be more than six months in length. When you apply for a student visa, you must show a bank balance with sufficient funds to cover first year tuition + $10K (living expenses). You must also demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country to prove you will return home once your studies are complete. In addition, the course you plan on taking must make sense given your education to date and career direction (otherwise you may be refused due to course mismatch). Also, note that you cannot apply within Canada - meaning that you must send your application to your local visa office for processing.

Be careful if you're applying to a private educational institution. Usually students can apply for a part time work permit once they have completed six months of study. However many private institutions (e.g. LSBF) do not qualify for the work permit (i.e. you can't work as a student in Canada) and also don't qualify for the post graduate work permit. If you decide to go the study visa route - chose your school wisely.

Keep in mind that the private institutions are in the business of making money and they will often make the process sound far easier than it really is.

If you visit the International Students section of this forum - you will see the process is not so easy and there are many rejections for various reasons.