+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Business sold ?!

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
I just got officially put on the books which would of given ne a full year employment before my work visa ran out next april..

my boss just informed me he is selling the business leaving me to find a new job and as my vosa expires next april i now wont have a full 1 year employment meaning im unable to apply for Pr as i understand....

My gf will not even consider common law... no idea why, she assumes it will affect her previous divorce that has been sogned but still have a house... i have been informed on her and by my lawyer it wont affect anything and common law isnt a commitment we can cancel but she wont consider and says theres other ways. eg go to school here and apply that way.

what are mt options? is the work way no cyance now.

can i go to school and apply thaf way??
please help

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I just got officially put on the books which would of given ne a full year employment before my work visa ran out next april..

my boss just informed me he is selling the business leaving me to find a new job and as my vosa expires next april i now wont have a full 1 year employment meaning im unable to apply for Pr as i understand....

My gf will not even consider common law... no idea why, she assumes it will affect her previous divorce that has been sogned but still have a house... i have been informed on her and by my lawyer it wont affect anything and common law isnt a commitment we can cancel but she wont consider and says theres other ways. eg go to school here and apply that way.

what are mt options? is the work way no cyance now.

can i go to school and apply thaf way??
please help
How did you get your current work permit? LMIA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are a few options. One would be to find an employer who is willing to offer you a job and also go through the LMIA process. It tends to be very difficult to do this, but if you are successful then you could apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

If you want to go the study permit route instead - that's possible too. You'll be able to work up to 20 hours per week while you are studying (your studies will have to be full time). Provided you complete a program from a recognized school, you'll qualify for a post graduate work permit afterwards. Note that any work experience you gain during your studies cannot be counted as work experience towards any immigration program. So you'll want to attend a school that qualifies for a PGWP. You'll also likely want to complete a 2 year program so that you can qualify for a three year PGWP. You'll need to be prepared to pay international student fees which are high.

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
There are a few options. One would be to find an employer who is willing to offer you a job and also go through the LMIA process. It tends to be very difficult to do this, but if you are successful then you could apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

If you want to go the study permit route instead - that's possible too. You'll be able to work up to 20 hours per week while you are studying (your studies will have to be full time). Provided you complete a program from a recognized school, you'll qualify for a post graduate work permit afterwards. Note that any work experience you gain during your studies cannot be counted as work experience towards any immigration program. So you'll want to attend a school that qualifies for a PGWP. You'll also likely want to complete a 2 year program so that you can qualify for a three year PGWP. You'll need to be prepared to pay international student fees which are high.
How does the study route after finishing turn into pr possibility??

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Once you graduate from college/university, you can apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit which allows you to work for any employer. Depending which province you are living, you can apply for PNP, EE or CEC. You can research between the 3 immigration streams and plan ahead to figure what job will qualify for PR including work experiences as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Pretty much the same as now. Completing schooling in Canada doesn't give you an automatic path to applying for PR (with the exception of studying at the Phd or Masters level in some provinces).