+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Business activity during winter

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
How do people spend time at work or outside during the harsh winters (Nov to Apr) in Ontario.
During this period
- is commuting to work really difficult during this period?
- is the business activity generally less?
- is it difficult to get jobs? Has it become worse after the start of COVID?

Are harsh winters generally the reason for people from warm countries to hesitate moving to Canada?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How do people spend time at work or outside during the harsh winters (Nov to Apr) in Ontario.
During this period

Are harsh winters generally the reason for people from warm countries to hesitate moving to Canada?
The winters in Southern Ontario aren’t really considered harsh. There is minimal hiring except seasonal work from the end of November to beginning of January but that is due to holidays. People just wear more clothing.Covid has slowed hiring in many sectors.

Reactions: piedpiper

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
During this period

Are you thinking of immigrating to Canada? Cities are well-equipped for the winter. Snow removal vehicles make sure to keep roads open. Given that most of the time people are inside in the winter, winter in not a problem. The only thing I don't like about winters is freezing ice because side walks become slippery and dangerous. Other than that, if you put heavy cloths and buy winter boots, you should be fine. If you don't like cold weather, BC on the pacific has a moderate weather.

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Do some people move to warm places in Southern US for work or holiday to escape the winter & then come back in summer? I guess canadian citizens can travel to US without any restrictions.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Do some people move to warm places in Southern US for work or holiday to escape the winter & then come back in summer? I guess canadian citizens can travel to US without any restrictions.
Travel yes, work obviously only if you have proper authorization (dual citizenship, work visa and so on)
But it sounds like you still think we live in igloo's and have snow all year long. We don't

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The majority of people who go to the US for the wi terms are retired. Getting a WP to work in the US as a Canadian can be difficult.

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Travel yes, work obviously only if you have proper authorization (dual citizenship, work visa and so on)
But it sounds like you still think we live in igloo's and have snow all year long. We don't
I know Toronto is not as bad as Juneau, Alaska. I guess snowfall starts in Oct/Nov & ends in Mar/Apr in many important cities across the country year after year. Is it not a long period of reduced activity affecting all in some way? I agree that those living in Canada for long have got used to this.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I thought Canadian Citizens can just drive across the border & come back when they like.
You thought wrong. Canadians can usually stay in the United States for a maximum of six months (about 182 days), during a 12-month period. The allowed time spent in the USA can occur during one trip or it could be the sum of several trips.

You mentioned Juneau, AK.. check out Google map, there is quite a difference in a) latitude and b) it is in a different country than Toronto.

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
You thought wrong. Canadians can usually stay in the United States for a maximum of six months (about 182 days), during a 12-month period. The allowed time spent in the USA can occur during one trip or it could be the sum of several trips.

You mentioned Juneau, AK.. check out Google map, there is quite a difference in a) latitude and b) it is in a different country than Toronto.
That means Canadians can spend every winter in the US (probably Florida). Correct me if I am wrong.

I agree with you that Juneau cannot be compared with Toronto because of latitudes. I am just trying to quantify the effect of winter on business in GTA. After all it is the business hub of Canada.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
That means Canadians can spend every winter in the US (probably Florida). Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, roughly one million snowbirds spend their winters in the south. But as previously said, these are mainly retired Canadians. Those who still work for a living don't get to do it.
I personally would never go to the US to spend my time there. I enjoy the winter time on the east coast with its clear blue skies, sunny days and relaxing walks on the beach.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I agree with you that Juneau cannot be compared with Toronto because of latitudes. I am just trying to quantify the effect of winter on business in GTA. After all it is the business hub of Canada.
If you don’t need to work sure you can visit the US during the winter but most need to work so can’t just go live in the US since they don’t have a WP.

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Yes, roughly one million snowbirds spend their winters in the south. But as previously said, these are mainly retired Canadians. Those who still work for a living don't get to do it.
I personally would never go to the US to spend my time there. I enjoy the winter time on the east coast with its clear blue skies, sunny days and relaxing walks on the beach.
I am confused. Did you really mean you go to the west coast (Vancouver)?

Last edited:

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
No, not at all. I live on Prince Edward Island and we have great winter days with sun and nice beaches. I never said it was warm..
Sounds interesting. I did not expect PEI to have nearly the same amount of annual sunshine days as Vancouver. But number of days of snow is higher than that of Toronto. I guess if someone is comfortable with snow then there is no problem at all.

Last edited: