waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
dimasok said:
And OSAP? Only if she gets a student permit?
I have no idea, but I doubt that she'd be eligible for OSAP unless she's a permanent resident or citizen.

OneLuckyCookie

Star Member
Jul 6, 2009
Swede said:
dimasok said:
And OSAP? Only if she gets a student permit?
I have no idea, but I doubt that she'd be eligible for OSAP unless she's a permanent resident or citizen.
When I went to Canada to study there I was not eligible for OSAP (being that I am not Canadian or a permanent resident) and keep in mind, too, that she will have to pay international fees for studying, which are much higher than those the Canadians pay.... (I paid about 10,000 CAD for two semesters of College...)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she can come to Canada as a visitor, you don't have immigration barriers preventing you from getting married or living together anymore so that would affect your ability to apply under conjugal. Some people have managed to get conjugal approved but many have also been denied. It's better to get married and apply once than apply, get denied, get married and apply again.

As a visitor in Canada, she would not have healthcare and she would not be able to work or study except for short courses (less than 6 months). If she gets accepted to a college or finds employment, she can apply for a study or work permit but for a study permit, she needs to show she has funds to pay the international fees for tuition and support herself and for both study and work permits, she needs to prove she is planning on leaving when the permit expires. Students sometimes get healthcare or subsidized insurance might be available, depends on the province. Temporary workers are usually covered by healthcare.

Once you apply to sponsor her, if you apply inland and all goes well, she could have first stage approval in 6-7 months (+healthcare and work permit) and PR in 1-2 years but with inland, it's not advised to leave while it's being processed plus if it doesn't go well, it can go very badly. No middle road here. Some people do have their PR with inland in as little as 10 months, some still waiting after 4+ years.

If you apply outland, the file goes to her homeland for processing and she may be called back there if they request an interview. You can see the processing times http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp but add 7 weeks at the beginning to approve you as her sponsor.

malcesine

Oct 31, 2008
I have a question, similar to dimasok's regarding conjugal partner. How can one sponsor their fiance' as conjugal partner if they cannot be here for more than six months (as visitor), but sponsoring a conjugal partner means living with them for at least one year? I want my fiance' to come here. He doesn't have enough points to immigrate as Skilled Worker though he has the strong working experience. He doesn't have a job offer either, so that's out of the question. What other way is there for him to immigrate here? Can he come as visitor for..... say 6 months, then apply for extention........he'd be living with me (obviously), and then I could start sponsorship as conjugal partner. Or would CIC frown on that?

dimasok

Aug 20, 2009
Can he come as visitor for..... say 6 months, then apply for extention.
I was asking my paralegal here about that and she said that right now there is a problem with extensions in general and a lot of people are refused. She said that there is no problem in coming here for 6 months every time but extensions are problematic. Go figure.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I believe there was a case on this board where somebody was denied an extension, then went to the US for a few days, came back and got a new stamp for the next 6 months. It's still risky because if you get a picky IO, you can still be denied.

KSTelAviv

Aug 5, 2009
Israel
dimasok said:
My girlfriend currently lives in Israel and wants to come to Canada to live and study with me. We are not yet ready to marry (that will come in the future as we both agreed) but we want to rent an apartment, study and work together. Is it possible to do that without marrying? All I could find was this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp but all sponsorship classes there have to do with either family or relatives! What about girlfriend/future wife?

I'd greatly appreciate any help since she has to serve in the army (yes, girls serve in the army in Israel!) beginning February and she doesn't have much time left before her window closes completely for 2 years!
If she comes here and lives with me for a maximum of 6 months and then we marry, would we have to fill sponsorship papers as well? Is it even possible?
Dimasok, you and your girlfriend have failed to calculate an important complication in your plan - (I am currently in Israel and am aware of her military obligation).

If your girlfriend leaves Israel before February and does not complete her compulsary military obligation to Israel - she will be classified as a draft dodger. The only way a woman can "get out of" military service is
1. If she is married or
2. If she has a baby/children or has had a baby (women who have had abortions are included as they are are considered "fertile" and considered as a "risk" to become pregnant during military service - these aren't my words - I researched this for a paper I made on Women in the Israeli army for the University of Tel Aviv.)

Furthermore, let us presume that your girlfriend decides to leave Israel anyways before being drafted to the army, then if your girlfriends returns to Israel for a short visit or permanently (lets say she wants to visit her family 6 months later, 1 year later, 2 years later etc, it doesn't matter the amount of time that has passed), she will be arrested and put in detention and put before the military tribunal to determine her punishement (I have many friends who this has happened to) - good case scenerio is that she has to immedietly enlist and serve in the army, bad case scenerio is that she has to go to army jail for a period and then serve in the army.

Furthermore, Israelis (spouse or common-law class) must submit a Military Exemption or Military Service Completion certificate when applying for Canadian immigration as indicated in the sponsor application kit. What will your girlfriend submit in this case if she chooses to leave Israel?

Another option is that she can delay serving in the army if she is studying abroad until she completes her studies (a very complicated process and she has to submit her acceptance to a canadian institution to the military as well as her student visa that was granted by the canadian government). She has to pray that the military accepts her claim to defer her military obligation and will grant her a release to study in Canada. However after completing her studies she will have to come back to Israel and serve in the army for 2 years (or be married to be exempt).

Therefore, the only options that I see are:
1. You guys get married (I wouldn't rush into marriage though) as being common-law won't exempt her from mililtary service and you will have to live together for 1 year before you can apply under that status) or
2. Wait until she completes her military service before she moves to Canada (it is only 2 years after all) and she can always serve in the "National Service" unit and work in a hospital meaning she will be home every evening if you want to visit her in Israel and have a long distance relationship.

Its just not a good idea to be a draft dodger... she must sort this out before she leaves Israel.

Hope it works out.
KSTelAviv