+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Burnaby to Chilliwack

danilorniepes

Dec 20, 2017
Hello, Good afternoon to all, We are hopefully be moving to Burnaby for work and I have my wife and 3 kids. Drive wise and we are planning to stay in Chilliwack. I planned to drive or commute daily is this something doable or practical? I am aware it's +100km one way. I wanted to know how many mins/hours is the drive morning/evening/weekdays and cost-wise?

The reason being we wanted to buy a detached house in Chilliwack as prices and reasonable to compare getting closer to Burnaby and we love the house that directly overlooks the mountains.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No, there isn't. There's a train from Vancouver to Mission, and you can drive from there to Chilliwack. It only runs 5 times westbound in the morning and 5 times eastbound in the evening.

Reactions: danilorniepes

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, Good afternoon to all, We are hopefully be moving to Burnaby for work and I have my wife and 3 kids. Drive wise and we are planning to stay in Chilliwack. I planned to drive or commute daily is this something doable or practical? I am aware it's +100km one way. I wanted to know how many mins/hours is the drive morning/evening/weekdays and cost-wise?

The reason being we wanted to buy a detached house in Chilliwack as prices and reasonable to compare getting closer to Burnaby and we love the house that directly overlooks the mountains.
No point of having a detached house if you never see your family and hate your life. Gas prices are high in BC so that’s also going to be an expensive commute.

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016

You may consider Maple Ridge and Mission for the alternative to Chilliwack. House prices must be comparable. The other options are buying duplex or townhomes nearby Burnaby like Coquitlam, Port Moody or Surrey.

danilorniepes

Dec 20, 2017
You may consider Maple Ridge and Mission for the alternative to Chilliwack. House prices must be comparable. The other options are buying duplex or townhomes nearby Burnaby like Coquitlam, Port Moody or Surrey.
Hi, I have taken your advice and started researching, I know it's early but I believe better be well informed. Anyway, I check Mission BC there are detached houses which is great. How long and whats the travel like from Mission to Burnaby? To and From daily?

Also another question. I consider townhomes before (so I can be close to Burnaby and UBC) but seen the recent news (June) about the rising costs of Strata Fees up to 300% and the problem BC are facing due to Strata Fee increases as many insurers trying to exit condo and townhouse markets due to rising claims?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I have taken your advice and started researching, I know it's early but I believe better be well informed. Anyway, I check Mission BC there are detached houses which is great. How long and whats the travel like from Mission to Burnaby? To and From daily?

Also another question. I consider townhomes before (so I can be close to Burnaby and UBC) but seen the recent news (June) about the rising costs of Strata Fees up to 300% and the problem BC are facing due to Strata Fee increases as many insurers trying to exit condo and townhouse markets due to rising claims?
You can go to google map to get the approximate driving times! You can drive along highway 7. There might be some traffic between Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge.

The insurance costs for detached houses is neither cheap.

Last edited:

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016

Just to answer your question Mission to Burnaby is 53 km is around one hour drive. I am not aware of recent increase townhouse strata fees.

My honest advise to you may be come here and evaluate in one year depending upon situation of commute and your childrens' schooling.
If I was you, I will give more importance to Childrens' schooling than others.

danilorniepes

Dec 20, 2017
Just to answer your question Mission to Burnaby is 53 km is around one hour drive. I am not aware of recent increase townhouse strata fees.

My honest advise to you may be come here and evaluate in one year depending upon situation of commute and your childrens' schooling.
If I was you, I will give more importance to Childrens' schooling than others.
Thank you very much, as you said I am actually considering as well the schooling zones for as I have 3 kids. So while I am waiting for my visa I am researching everything so I can be well informed, really appreciate your response.

For the the rising Strata fees, see the link below, its quite scary to be honest.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7093717/strata-insurance-costs-rising-bc/

laxsun

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Thank you very much, as you said I am actually considering as well the schooling zones for as I have 3 kids. So while I am waiting for my visa I am researching everything so I can be well informed, really appreciate your response.

For the the rising Strata fees, see the link below, its quite scary to be honest.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7093717/strata-insurance-costs-rising-bc/
This information is useful for who is planning to buy townhouse or apartments with strata. Only around 25% of strata fee is insurance cost though. That means 3 times increase in insurance cost does not mean three times increase in the strata fee. That building in the news must be old.

Are you aware that in between single family houses and townhouses there is option of duplex. Duplexes are two units attached each other with different owners that is without strata fee.

Most of BC elementary schools are good but if your children are going soon to grade 8, better to be in the community where the high school is good.

danilorniepes

Dec 20, 2017
This information is useful for who is planning to buy townhouse or apartments with strata. Only around 25% of strata fee is insurance cost though. That means 3 times increase in insurance cost does not mean three times increase in the strata fee. That building in the news must be old.

Are you aware that in between single family houses and townhouses there is option of duplex. Duplexes are two units attached each other with different owners that is without strata fee.

Most of BC elementary schools are good but if your children are going soon to grade 8, better to be in the community where the high school is good.
Yes, in my case I am researching early for schools as I have kids that will go to Grade 1,5 and 8. I been using the "https://www.compareschoolrankings.org/" to check the school ratings not sure if this is 100% accurate but something I can start with, the same time I am looking for a place (townhouse or apartment) to rent that within the same catchment areas for my 3 kids.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would make sure you drive during a proper rush hour. Not sure that is possible during covid but commutes can get extremely long the further you get out depending on where you work. Do you have a job lined up? If you don't I would worry about securing job first and then looking at where there is an ok commute and good school district.

danilorniepes

Dec 20, 2017
Would make sure you drive during a proper rush hour. Not sure that is possible during covid but commutes can get extremely long the further you get out depending on where you work. Do you have a job lined up? If you don't I would worry about securing job first and then looking at where there is an ok commute and good school district.
Thanks a lot, yes I do already have a confirmed job waiting for my in Still Creek Burnaby. It is true all the parking in Still Creek is now all paid parking? Thanks a lot for the vital info