+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Building house in Nova Scotia as newcomer

vacquoy

Apr 24, 2017
Hey guys, I have a rather specific question so I hope someone has some experience or can help me.
We are looking into buying a lot to build our own house on.
We have no experience with this whatsoever and we were wondering if this is hard and if there are many regulations. Of course, Google is my friend, but I am now looking for personal experiences.

We are mortgage free in the Netherlands and the sale of our house combined with our savings should allow us to do rhis

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need a reliable builder and designer. The designer will guide you the process such as to obtain relevant permits from the City. I don't have hands on experience but I have done some googling.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You will need to find a good builder, architect/designer/interior design..etc and possibility specialize building in the city/area that you planned to buy your site and build.
Building cost for some cities are a lot higher than another because of building code and permits..etc.
It's a long process as well. It's not unusual that it will take more than 1 year. (depending on complexity, permit applications and even weather is a factor.)

Edit: I missed the heading about Nova Scotia. I do not know the specific of this province. But I think that's the general idea.

Gyrexi

Jun 9, 2018
Hi, there,
I am right here in NS Halifax and bought my own house recently. I don’t know much about building processes. But as I know, Halifax is full of hard mountain rock. If you want to build from a raw land, it will cost more on foundation than other provinces. As it may needs explosion to flat the base of foundation. And the labor here is expensive. Otherwise, morgage could not apply to the purchase of vacant land. (Not sure how other provinces work). It is a nice place here, but rare to see people build their own house.