+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Build on my mother's asylum claim?

Vicnab

Oct 29, 2018
Hello,
18 years ago, my mother traveled to Canada and claimed asylum, for which she was granted. She was a minister of a kingdom (monarchical government). But the central government which is not fun of the several monarchical governments has since time in memorial tried to frustrate them. so one time she was attacked and the following year she ran to Canada, after being granted asylum and received PR status, she sponsored 2 of my siblings because they were under 21 then. i was over 21 and i couldn't be sponsored. My mother and my 2 siblings are now citizens. i tried to live out of the limelight in fear of making a follow up of my mother through me. The Kingdom has always had a soft spot for one opposition party because most of its members are largely from the Kingdom. Here is now the problem, The new opposition that is coming on strong for government has a brother who has been participating in politics but not very strong, he always stood on the Party card that the Kingdom embraces. This brother happens to be our long time friend, who at one time, my mother hosted at our home while we were still students (i have the photo). My mother liked him because of his political ambitions that he discussed with him back then. Though because of politics, and my mother's situation, i kept him under the blankets. Now the government is on a crackdown on all supporters of the opposition leader, and some how i got someone, not identified asking me about the whereabouts of my mother (the government believes that people in diaspora are sponsoring opposition movements), and my relation ship with the brother of the opposition leader, i was in shock and very scared because the government does not fear to mistreat or even kill the opposition. i was thinking of coming to Canada with a study permit and claim asylum while building on my mother, problem is i have no evidence and i will have left my family behind, fearing for their lives too. To make it worse, my husband is a professor at the University who keeps writing academic political papers, sometimes he is asked to explain what he wrote when he gets it published. Please help me and advise me on what to do. Can i build on my mother's case successfully? and how can i get to travel with my family? i fear leaving it behind and yet i might not get visas for them all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You really can't build on your mother's case. You would have to establish your own case for claiming asylum in Canada. You can say that you are being persecuted because of your family connection to your mother. However you will have to provide your own evidence of that persecution and support your own case.

Asylum cases are taking around 3 years to process in Canada these days and it takes longer still for family to be able to follow afterwards. So if you come to Canada alone to claim asylum, that is something you will need to consider.

If you or your husband qualify to apply for PR through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry, that would be a better option.

Vicnab

Oct 29, 2018
Thanx alot Scylla for your response, my husband has Masters and PhD from France and he is currently an Associate Professor of Political Science, he turned 60 this year, is it possible for his age to be successful at the Express Entry?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanx alot Scylla for your response, my husband has Masters and PhD from France and he is currently an Associate Professor of Political Science, he turned 60 this year, is it possible for his age to be successful at the Express Entry?
He'll have to calculate how many points he has. Right now you need 440+ to be selected. He will lose significant points due to his age but possible he might still qualify.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your husband has been educated in France there may be a possibility of him working or living there. That may be an option for your family.