+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Buffalo Visa Office Closing

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/05/25/pol-weston-buffalo-consul.html

Canada closing consulate in Buffalo, N.Y.

Ottawa drops requirement for foreign workers and students to renew visas outside Canada

The federal government is shutting down the Canadian consulate in Buffalo, one of Canada’s largest and oldest diplomatic outposts in the United States, CBC News has learned.

Senior government officials confirm the official announcement of the Buffalo closure, affecting about 75 employees, will probably be made sometime next week.

The closure is the result of federal budget cuts and a major change to immigration rules.

For decades, foreign students and temporary workers in the Toronto area wanting to extend their stay in Canada have been forced to travel to the Buffalo consulate to apply for the necessary changes to their visas.

But the Harper government is putting an end to what became known in immigration circles as the "Buffalo shuffle" by getting rid of the requirement that foreigners have to leave the country for interviews regarding a requested visa change.

Instead, officials say, foreigners wanting to alter their visas will be able to apply and pay the necessary fees online, and if an interview with Canadian officials is necessary, they will be conducted at immigration offices in Canada.

Government statistics show that at any given time there are approximately 400,000 foreigners in Canada on various kinds of temporary visas.

Visa changes 'more convenient'

A senior official says the change in rules, coupled with a move to electronic immigration applications that will be processed in Canada rather than in Buffalo, led the Department of Foreign Affairs to conclude it "simply could not justify keeping open the rest of the mission."

All of the remaining functions of the Buffalo mission will be taken over by the consulate in New York City, the second-largest Canadian diplomatic office in the U.S. next to the main embassy in Washington.

One immigration official says: "Our government is saving taxpayers' money while continuing to provide a high level of service through the use of new technologies.

"This change will be much more convenient for in-Canada applicants."

The changes will similarly impact the Canadian consulate in Detroit, but officials say there are no plans to shut it down.

Foreign Affairs recently announced it was closing five smaller trade offices in the U.S. — Phoenix, Philadelphia, Raleigh, Anchorage, and Princeton — as part of its budget-cutting efforts to trim $170 million in annual spending.

But the Buffalo office is the first full-service consulate being shuttered, eliminating walk-in services for everything from lost passports to visa applications.

Foreign Affairs and immigration officials stress the closure of the Buffalo consulate and five trade missions south of the border is not meant to be a snub of the U.S. in any way.

They point out that even after the six closures, Canada will still have 15 consular and trade offices across the U.S., as well as the embassy in Washington.

JEDGAR

Aug 1, 2012
How can I get an update on WHEN my application processed will be finalized? I know a decision has been made and I have been approved but the closure of Buffalo office has me in limbo. My life is basically on hold until this is resolved. I have tried to email the Ottawa office and I have worked with my local MP office in Nova Scotia, to no avail. I'm so frustrated by this.