+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BSF186 form was not filled as officials at airport didn’t ask

Harman Tiwana

Dec 6, 2021
Hi everyone,

I landed in canada on 24 Nov, 2021 as a First time PR. At the immigration, the officer at the customs didn’t ask me to submit BSF186 and I didn’t know that i had to submit it there only. Now i got to know that i had to submit it to bring anything from my home country to save custom duty. Can i submit it again. Please suggest what to do?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I landed in canada on 24 Nov, 2021 as a First time PR. At the immigration, the officer at the customs didn’t ask me to submit BSF186 and I didn’t know that i had to submit it there only. Now i got to know that i had to submit it to bring anything from my home country to save custom duty. Can i submit it again. Please suggest what to do?
Are you back in your home country? If not, you visit the nearest CBSA office in your area.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, I landed on 24 Nov this year as a new permanent resident.
Yes, but you can leave the country after you landed. As a new PR, you are free return to your home country or other international destinations.

Harman Tiwana

Dec 6, 2021
Yes, but you can leave the country after you landed. As a new PR, you are free return to your home country or other international destinations.
No i am asking to give the declaration form to bring things from my home country to india. The officials at immigration at airport didn’t mention it and i also forgot to ask.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No i am asking to give the declaration form to bring things from my home country to india. The officials at immigration at airport didn’t mention it and i also forgot to ask.
Home country to India?? Sorry this a Canada immigration forum!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Assuming home country to Canada is what you meant, it's not CBSA responsibility to tell you or ask.

You can basically go to the airport and beg and apologise and hope it works out.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You can also call them or visit one of their offices in your area.
Good suggestion, I just happend to see this being dealt with at customs terminal outside airport, possible it can be done elsewhere, don't know.

For background, we got the BSF form stamped on arrival; then we had to go to airport customs when our shipment arrived for the forms to be re-stamped (still not clear why this extra step, but it is what it is).

At customs on this second trip of ours, there was a couple that had not done the step on their own arrival; they claimed there hadn't been customs involved at all when they arrived [reasons don't matter]. Same story, basically - they were still told it was their own problem/fault, they should have found a customs officer and had the forms processed, blah blah blah - much time wasted discussing this point.

Eventually the customs officer decided the ritual humiliation/insistence that there was no fault attributable to CBSA was sufficient and started work on helping them fix it. (Note, at this point he was quite a stickler about all other paperwork and evidence - whereas when we did it on arrival, there were basically no questions; although possible the circumstances were quite different too).

In other words, it's discretionary on the part of the officer. Don't waste time arguing the point, you missed it, you didn't know, you were tired, you were confused, it's your fault, your mover didn't tell you when you needed to show this, is there any way at all to fix this? Obviously no guarantee this will work but clearly it is possible.

And do it soon. I'm quite sure that if thye have any thought this is stuff being shipped after the PR arrives in Canada, they won't do this.