+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BSF186 and Goods to Follow

ratsalad

May 1, 2019
Hi... I am a little lost on this... hope someone can guide me on what I should do

Some background:
I am the main applicant and I will be arriving sometime this month and I am not intending to bring a lot of belongings on this landing since I have not settled housing yet. I will spend spend about a month in Canada to get housing, business incorporation, etc settled, before going back to my home country to handle some business matters. In the initial stage I probably will fly between my home country and Canada several times in the first year.

My dependents will land in June initially and likewise they will return to home country in a few weeks.

So my questions regarding BSF186 and goods to follow:
1) Is BSF186 and BSF186A only for the main applicant to fill or will my dependents also need to fill a copy each?
2) For Goods to Follow, is there a timeframe where I am allowed to bring the items in across multiple trips when i fly in or is it limited to one time shipping of the items by commercial shipping services?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) I think only you and your spouse
2) No timeframe

My questions with regards to your background:

1) Although you are not settling, you can still bring a lot of stuff by putting them in a mini storage or a friend's place. Why not consider it?
2) You are coming in March but intend to reserve a long term housing for June? June is a bit early but perhaps there are landlords willing to wait for you.

ratsalad

May 1, 2019
Many thanks for your response. No timeframe is good so it affords me some flexibility.

I am getting a bit stressed by the housing issue. As you observed... my timelines are not exactly fixed and I'm still gonna be travelling back and forth. So to put money down on a rental for a year's lease that is big enough for the entire family doesn't quite make sense yet.

On the other hand if I were to put money down on a one room apartment and before the end of lease if my family is ready for the permanent move then I'd need to find a bigger unit (purchase or rent) and potentially break the lease unless somebody else takes over the lease.

Plus the housing situation in BC now is quite hot apparently...

I'm so confused and lost. It's my first time moving internationally and with the family involved it gets complicated.

Any advice from more experienced folks here would be much appreciated...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many thanks for your response. No timeframe is good so it affords me some flexibility.

I am getting a bit stressed by the housing issue. As you observed... my timelines are not exactly fixed and I'm still gonna be travelling back and forth. So to put money down on a rental for a year's lease that is big enough for the entire family doesn't quite make sense yet.

On the other hand if I were to put money down on a one room apartment and before the end of lease if my family is ready for the permanent move then I'd need to find a bigger unit (purchase or rent) and potentially break the lease unless somebody else takes over the lease.

Plus the housing situation in BC now is quite hot apparently...

I'm so confused and lost. It's my first time moving internationally and with the family involved it gets complicated.

Any advice from more experienced folks here would be much appreciated...
In this case, during the first month, you can seek and purchase a home and get it ready for the permanent move. A friend of mine bought her townhome within the first couple weeks of arrival ; the transaction was completed by the end of the month (while she was away) and keys were given to her realtor (got it from the seller). Upon her next landing a few months later, the realtor picked her at the airport, drove and she stepped in to her new home. Perhaps you can do something similar.

ratsalad

May 1, 2019
In this case, during the first month, you can seek and purchase a home and get it ready for the permanent move. A friend of mine bought her townhome within the first week of arrival and the transaction was completed by the end of the month (while she was away) and keys were given to her realtor (got it from the seller). Upon her next landing a few months later, the realtor picked her at the airport, drove and she stepped in to her new home. Perhaps you can do something similar.
Actually... come to think of it, that is a good idea.

Instead of spending money on lease when I'm not gonna be staying there physically, I could buy a townhouse and rent it out. The rental would cover the mortgage while I lock in the purchase price earlier to avoid further price hikes...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually... come to think of it, that is a good idea.

Instead of spending money on lease when I'm not gonna be staying there physically, I could buy a townhouse and rent it out. The rental would cover the mortgage while I lock in the purchase price earlier to avoid further price hikes...
Yes, but if you rent out and then live in, you might have to pay capital gain tax to the government...

Also, since your dependants are going to stay only for a few weeks, I'm not sure why you need a bigger place. Can't they stay in a temporary place such as hotel instead?

ratsalad

May 1, 2019
Yes, but if you rent out and then live in, you might have to pay capital gain tax to the government...

Also, since your dependants are going to stay only for a few weeks, I'm not sure why you need a bigger place. Can't they stay in a temporary place such as hotel instead?
See how confused and uninformed I am... :(

I guess, best is for me to land first, get a better feel of neighbourhoods then take it step by step before committing anything major

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
See how confused and uninformed I am... :(

I guess, best is for me to land first, get a better feel of neighbourhoods then take it step by step before committing anything major
Live in and then rent out is a better idea!