+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brokerage recommendations for ACATs stock transfer?

cvaib

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Hi,
I am in the process of relocating to Vancouver from USA. I want to hold my stocks for some more time.
Can you suggest some canadian brokerages for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
inteactivebrokers.ca
cibc investorsedge
Both are less cost. Finally ended up using just interactivebrokers.

Reactions: cvaib

cvaib

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Thanks Hariraj. Some more queries -
1. Do I initiate this transfer from US brokerage?
2. Do they work with all brokerages? etrade, robinhood, motif?
3. what are the tax implications?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks Hariraj. Some more queries -
1. Do I initiate this transfer from US brokerage?
2. Do they work with all brokerages? etrade, robinhood, motif?
3. what are the tax implications?
1. These are separate territories/countries. I dont think you can but i dont know. Call them.
2. I dont think there is any kind of transfer just because you are relocating from x country to y country. This is not like money transfer. Sell in US and buy in Canada. Not sure whats the problem as it trades almost same rate.
3. As there is no transfer, your earnings you book will appear on 1099 forms from your brokerage company which you need to report as income/loss along with your W2 income. Taxes and above things are totally separate.

cvaib

Star Member
May 19, 2017
1. These are separate territories/countries. I dont think you can but i dont know. Call them.
2. I dont think there is any kind of transfer just because you are relocating from x country to y country. This is not like money transfer. Sell in US and buy in Canada. Not sure whats the problem as it trades almost same rate.
3. As there is no transfer, your earnings you book will appear on 1099 forms from your brokerage company which you need to report as income/loss along with your W2 income. Taxes and above things are totally separate.
got it. so you dont mean that we transfer the stocks. We have to sell US stocks and then buy it again in Canada.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
got it. so you dont mean that we transfer the stocks. We have to sell US stocks and then buy it again in Canada.
Correct.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
wrong! dont sell! You will have to pay taxes on the gains, why do you want to do that? What if in the week between your sell and buy, stocks go up sharply? I transferred my stocks as is from US brokerage to Canadian. All I had to do was open account in Canadian brokerage and give them my US brokerage account numbers and some other details. I transferred stocks from US regular brokerage and wealthfront. I am sure it will work for Robinhood. In addition, if you have Vanguard US ETFs, you can ask to 'journal' them. This means, if the same stock is traded on both NYSE and TSX, they will exchange your NYSE stock for its TSX version and you will get dividends in CAD.

Reactions: cvaib

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
wrong! dont sell! You will have to pay taxes on the gains, why do you want to do that? What if in the week between your sell and buy, stocks go up sharply? I transferred my stocks as is from US brokerage to Canadian. All I had to do was open account in Canadian brokerage and give them my US brokerage account numbers and some other details. I transferred stocks from US regular brokerage and wealthfront. I am sure it will work for Robinhood. In addition, if you have Vanguard US ETFs, you can ask to 'journal' them. This means, if the same stock is traded on both NYSE and TSX, they will exchange your NYSE stock for its TSX version and you will get dividends in CAD.
I think this should be the preferred approach.

You can also keep the stocks with US brokerages. There is no requirement to transfer those. As a Canadian resident, you just have to pay taxes to Canada according to their laws.

cvaib

Star Member
May 19, 2017
can you tell me which brokerage did you use?

sayanfebam

Oct 21, 2021
Hi.. Can you tell me what should I do.. Situation similar relocating to Canada using Robin hood. What to use to get the stocks transfer.. Dont want to sell.