+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British Passport Entering Canada w/ Canadian Citizen Certificate

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Hi - I have read prior threads on this subject but there is no concrete answer and too many varying scenarios that do not apply to me.

Facts:
- British Citizen at birth and have Canadian Citizenship as well
- Plan on visiting Canada for holiday (living in UK currently)

I simply want to know if I can enter Canada by airplane with my British Passport + Canadian Citizenship Certificate for a 2-3 week holiday?

I understand there might be delays, etc at the border and I have no problem verifying my information so this is not my concern - I just want to know 100% before I leave UK that I can enter Canada with the two documents above?

Thank you

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not need your certificate. If your intent is just a short visit then you do not need to prove that you are a Canadian as well. If you are planning to apply for a Canadian passport then you need your certificate.

You can enter as British citizen and enjoy your vacation.

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Hi Chikloo - thank you for the quick response.

In the past when travelling to Canada, the UK airport airline company would generally ask to see my PR card when I am checking-in my luggage. Now that I don't have my PR card will they say anything? Or do I tell the airline that I am going to Canada for a holiday and will be returning back to the UK?

Many thanks

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tjam3 said:
Hi Chikloo - thank you for the quick response.

In the past when travelling to Canada, the UK airport airline company would generally ask to see my PR card when I am checking-in my luggage. Now that I don't have my PR card will they say anything? Or do I tell the airline that I am going to Canada for a holiday and will be returning back to the UK?

Many thanks
Yes, as any British visitor, you don't need to have/mention Canadian citizenship to visit Canada.

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Thank you Alpha - I should mention that the reason why the airline asks for my PR card historically is because there is an expired visa in there which then they ask "I see this is expired, do you have a PR card" so as I do not mention anything myself, they see the expired visa and ask for it usually.

I should be fine in any case?

Also I was planning to go to USA for a short 2-3 day holiday - there shouldn't be any issue returning to Canada by air?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tjam3 said:
Thank you Alpha - I should mention that the reason why the airline asks for my PR card historically is because there is an expired visa in there which then they ask "I see this is expired, do you have a PR card" so as I do not mention anything myself, they see the expired visa and ask for it usually.

I should be fine in any case?

Also I was planning to go to USA for a short 2-3 day holiday - there shouldn't be any issue returning to Canada by air?
Ok, I see that things have changed as of March 15, 2016. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

You now need an Electronic Travel Authorization to enter as a British citizen. However...

"Important – for Canadian dual citizens traveling by air: as a Canadian citizen you cannot apply for an eTA. You have a right of entry to Canada and are therefore not subject to immigration screening. In fall 2016, you will need to show proof of Canadian citizenship before you can board your flight to Canada. The best way to do this is to present a valid Canadian passport. See Travel documents for dual Canadian citizens flying to Canada."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/dual-canadian-citizens.asp

"At the end of the transition period, in fall 2016, you will need to show proof that you are a Canadian citizen before you board your flight to Canada."

In summary, you really need to get a Canadian passport.

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Thank you - I see this on their website

Important – for Canadian dual citizens traveling by air: as a Canadian citizen you cannot apply for an eTA. You have a right of entry to Canada and are therefore not subject to immigration screening. In fall 2016, you will need to show proof of Canadian citizenship before you can board your flight to Canada. The best way to do this is to present a valid Canadian passport. See Travel documents for dual Canadian citizens flying to Canada.

I would be travelling before fall 2016 so I should be fine? My Canadian spouse will be travelling with me as well.

It says above I have the right to enter into Canada as a citizen and after fall 2016 make sure you have a passport in order to board a plane which I understand clearly ... but if I go during the transition period (need to go relatively soon and can't wait to apply for passport) it says leniency will be shown if you show other documents like a citizenship certificate.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Do not try to enter Canada as a non-Canadian citizen. You are asking for potential trouble if you do this. Better to show your citizenship certificate, if you have no Canadian passport and let CBSA sort it out. But if you are a Canadian citizen why not just get a Canadian passport? If you try to enter Canada as a non-Canadian citizen that could raise all kinds of suspicion as to what you are up to, if they somehow figure out you are a citizen during the inspection process.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apparently, CIC is not going to start enforcing the requirement that you have a Canadian passport until fall 2016. However, as a Canadian citizen, you cannot apply for an eTA. So, the question is: will the airline allow you to board a plane without an eTA or a Canadian passport. If they will, then you should be ok.

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Hi links I think you misunderstood my post I have no intention on lying. I will have my certificate with me and inform the officer that I plan on applying for a passport immediately after my vacation.

Thanks Alpha this is what I am thinking about as well.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Tjam3 said:
Hi links I think you misunderstood my post I have no intention on lying. I will have my certificate with me and inform the officer that I plan on applying for a passport immediately after my vacation.

Thanks Alpha this is what I am thinking about as well.
I was responding to others who appeared to suggest you could enter Canada as British and not even tell CBSA you were Canadian. That's a bad idea in my opinion....

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
chikloo said:
You do not need your certificate. If your intent is just a short visit then you do not need to prove that you are a Canadian as well. If you are planning to apply for a Canadian passport then you need your certificate.

You can enter as British citizen and enjoy your vacation.
Chicloo,
My original passport don't require me a visa to enter Canada, and I have a Canadian passport ( got it recently) and I live in Canada.
Now my question is: if I travel to my home country do I have to carry my Canadian passport to enter back in Canada ?

in other words, if at the border they find out that I'm a Canadian, can they do me trouble for not traveling with the Canadian passport ?
( in my home country they refuse you entry if you are their citizen, and you travel with a foreign passport, strange)

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
ari5323 said:
Chicloo,
My original passport don't require me a visa to enter Canada, and I have a Canadian passport ( got it recently) and I live in Canada.
Now my question is: if I travel to my home country do I have to carry my Canadian passport to enter back in Canada ?

in other words, if at the border they find out that I'm a Canadian, can they do me trouble for not traveling with the Canadian passport ?
( in my home country they refuse you entry if you are their citizen, and you travel with a foreign passport, strange)

If you are a Canadian citizen, you have the right to enter Canada period. However, you have to prove you are a Canadian citizen at the border to CBSA. Obviously, a Canadian passport is the best way to do this (or other secure travel document--if entering by land). Will a foreign passport in conjunction with a Canadian Citizenship Certificate work? Possibly, but a CC is not a secure travel document. For crying out loud the photo is just glued there and not very securely. Accepting this combination would seem to be up to the discretion of CBSA, and I bet they would want to hear a real good explanation for why a Canadian citizen is traveling without a Canadian passport. However, in this instance, one is not really "entering on a foreign passport." The foreign passport is being used to establish identity and the CC is being used to show Canadian Citizenship. There is no attempt being made to omit the material fact that the traveler is in fact Canadian, as is OP's plan.

However, if a Canadian citizen attempts to enter Canada as a foreigner on a foreign passport alone, I would think that person is setting themselves up for potential trouble. 1.) Foreigners have no right to enter Canada, such a person could be refused entry to Canada, even though they are Canadian. This might be more likely to happen, if evidence emerges in the entry inspection that said person is living in Canada w/o status. 2.) If CBSA figures out this person is Canadian, they should expect serious security scrutiny, as attempting to enter Canada as a foreigner raises all kinds of suspicions. What is such a person up to? What are they trying to hide? Where have they been? The Islamic State? Even if said person is eventually permitted to enter (as is their right) they can likely expect increased security screening each time they enter Canada after that, as such an incident would almost certainly result in a FOSS entry on the person's profile. Of course, none of this will necessarily or automatically happen, but not worth the risk in my opinion. If you are Canadian--get a Canadian passport. If you have a Canadian passport, always use it to enter Canada. If you can't get a Canadian passport in time for a trip you have to make, don't get cute with CBSA (that is if the airline even allows you to get on the plane).

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
can someone explain this - my British passport which under normal circumstances (i.e. tourist with no ties to Canada) let me enter Canada for up to 6 months without a visa - does this get trumped now by the fact that I am a citizen now and have different obligations when travelling/entering Canada? I am not living in Canada so the airline company should be OK no - I will be returning back and surely a British Passport will satisfy an airline company?

FWIW I will get a passport as soon as I arrive to Canada w/ priority processing as I will be there for a few weeks! I also have photos of my original PR card as well and my citizenship cermony and a picture wiht my cetificate/flag with the Citizenship Judge to establish further proof if required.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I still don't get it why you won't just apply for a Passport at the Canadian High Commission in the UK. Processing times for international applications is just 20 business days and you'll have your Canadian Passport.