+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British Drivers License Exchange

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hey. I am just wondering if anyone has exchanged their full British driver's license for an Ontario one. I've been driving for around 8 years and still have my British license. I've lived in Ontario for more than 3 years now and I've decided I'd like to do car rentals occasionally so it's time to do the exchange

I currently live in Toronto and from what I'm reading I would go to the Service Ontario (College Park location) and bring some documentation with me. I just need to take an eye test and pay a fee and make sure I take the right documents.

I'd just like to hear from anybody who has done this process before and how it went exactly (what kind of documents you took, etc.). Is the plastic card part of the driver's license enough or do you need the paper part as well (this is still back in Scotland so I'd need to get family to mail it over if it's needed).

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hey. I am just wondering if anyone has exchanged their full British driver's license for an Ontario one. I've been driving for around 8 years and still have my British license. I've lived in Ontario for more than 3 years now and I've decided I'd like to do car rentals occasionally so it's time to do the exchange

I currently live in Toronto and from what I'm reading I would go to the Service Ontario (College Park location) and bring some documentation with me. I just need to take an eye test and pay a fee and make sure I take the right documents.

I'd just like to hear from anybody who has done this process before and how it went exactly (what kind of documents you took, etc.). Is the plastic card part of the driver's license enough or do you need the paper part as well (this is still back in Scotland so I'd need to get family to mail it over if it's needed).
Yes, I have. However, you should have done this before now. I'm not sure if that is going to be a problem, as you were supposed to have done this soon after taking up residence in the province. You need BOTH parts of the driving licence.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence_exchange.html

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I only had a provisional, but when I came to Newfoundland they took my British provisional and I was just able to take the test (I know it's different in other provinces). My sister exchanged her full driving license in Ontario soon after she got there and all she needed was her card.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I only had a provisional, but when I came to Newfoundland they took my British provisional and I was just able to take the test (I know it's different in other provinces). My sister exchanged her full driving license in Ontario soon after she got there and all she needed was her card.
It looks like they may have changed the document requirements.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/licence-exchanges-cars-small-trucks-and-vans.html

Great Britain (United Kingdom)
Documentation requirements (in English or French):

• Current, valid full class driver’s licence with documentation to satisfy all 3 identification requirements.
  • Your current licence must be surrendered. If you have misplaced your licence, you must present an original Certificate of Entitlement, dated within the last 6 months and issued by the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), for the exchange to take place. Photocopies are not acceptable.
  • Electronic certificates (e.g. obtained or transmitted by email, facsimile, or downloaded from licensing jurisdiction website) are acceptable provided they contain the driver’s full name or driver’s licence number, and the following must be contained on either the driver’s licence or the abstract: letterhead, logo, emblem, or coat of arms of the issuing government body or licensing authority; date first licensed; date of birth; licence class(es); licence status; expiry date; and date the abstract was issued. The electronic certificate must be accompanied by either a receipt confirming that the abstract was purchased by the driver, or an email from the licensing jurisdiction demonstrating that the driver requested the abstract. Electronic certificates must have been issued within the last six months. Photocopies of electronic certificates are not acceptable.
In 2016 it used to say this...

Great Britain (United Kingdom)
Documentation requirements (in English or French):

• Current, valid full class driver’s licence with documentation to satisfy all 3 identification requirements.
  • The Class B Great Britain driver’s licence has two parts. Both the photo card and the counterpart must be surrendered at the time of the exchange. If you have misplaced either one of these pieces, you must present an original Certificate of Entitlement, dated within the last 6 months and issued by the DVLA for the exchange to take place.