+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

British citizen need to extend to care for family member.

Sidjoloo

Jun 14, 2014
My mother ha dual nationality and us a Canadian citizen. Both her and her husband are quite elderly and infirm. I visit every year as often as I can fir a week or so at a time.
I'm considering renting out my house in England and going over to look after them for longer spells. Could I apply for extension to a visitor permit before the usual 6 month applies?
Has anyone had any experience of this? I would be happy to go back to the uk fir a month or so every year but I'd be worried they'd not let me back into Canada and this would leave my mum without any help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What you're looking to do isn't feasible long-term on a visitor visa. Yes - it's possible to apply for an extension to a six month visit to Canada (CIC's decision if the extension is approved). However longer term, you're not going to be able to spend 11 months out of every year as a visitor in Canada (CBSA/CIC will see this as living in Canada rather than visiting). Generally speaking, if you want to avoid issues at the border, you want to be spending more time outside of Canada than inside of Canada each year.

If you want to be able to live in Canada and have no issues spending most of your time here out of every year, you would need to look into immigrating and becoming a permanent resident - or alternatively, securing a work permit through a full time job offer.

So short term your plan may work - longer term, you should expect issues.