+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing wife and child to Canada

Rajma16

Feb 19, 2014
Hi,

I got my PR in March 2015 and I will be coming to Canada next month.
When I started my PR process, I was not married, but I got married during later stage of my PR processing, so I got my wife's name added in the application after her medicals were done.

Now, I have a son also. So, can I bring my wife and son on tourist visa and apply for their Canada PR later? If not, then on which visa can I bring them to Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

When I started my PR process, I was not married, but I got married during later stage of my PR processing, so I got my wife's name added in the application after her medicals were done.

Now, I have a son also. So, can I bring my wife and son on tourist visa and apply for their Canada PR later? If not, then on which visa can I bring them to Canada?
Did your wife do a soft landing? Did you add her as non-accompanying?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can't sponsor her if you were already married and landed without completing her PR documents. She had to be included when you initially landed even if she was non-accompanying.

Rajma16

Feb 19, 2014
Now, can can she and
You can't sponsor her if you were already married and landed without completing her PR documents. She had to be included when you initially landed even if she was non-accompanying.
Now, how can she and my son come to canada? On tourist Visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can sponsor your child for PR once you arrive in Canada. You can try to get a trv for your wife but don't think it will be successful. If you informed CIC of your marriage and added your wife to your PR application but then you didn't go through with paying her fees or having her land then she technically can never be sponsored. Did she ever do her medical or pcc?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Hi

Yes, you can sponsor your wife and child. They can certainly apply for TRVs but are unlikely to be approved. You should submit an outland sponsorship app as soon as you arrive in Canada. You need to be prepared to be away from your family for up to a year during the sponsorship process. A few short visits are OK but given how close you are to being in violation of the RO, you need to be very careful with any absences.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can sponsor your child for PR once you arrive in Canada. You can try to get a trv for your wife but don't think it will be successful. If you informed CIC of your marriage and added your wife to your PR application but then you didn't go through with paying her fees or having her land then she technically can never be sponsored. Did she ever do her medical or pcc?
The spouse was added as non-accompanying, so she wasn't required to pay fees or land. She can be sponsored.

Reactions: scylla

Rajma16

Feb 19, 2014
Yes, her medical and PCC was done and submitted to CIC

Rajma16

Feb 19, 2014
Hi

Yes, you can sponsor your wife and child. They can certainly apply for TRVs but are unlikely to be approved. You should submit an outland sponsorship app as soon as you arrive in Canada. You need to be prepared to be away from your family for up to a year during the sponsorship process. A few short visits are OK but given how close you are to being in violation of the RO, you need to be very careful with any absences.
Thanks for your reply. How can I arrange few short trips for my wife and son? A tourist visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Then as previously posted you must land in Canada and then sponsor your wife and child. You will likely be denied for a trv.