+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

bringing the jewlery listed in (goods to follow ) form change ?

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
Dear all

We landed in Canada at 2018 as skilled worker and because we did not intend to stay we listed all of my wife jewelry items on the goods to follow list ( around 40 items) worth of 40 thousand USD

now we are moving to settle and My wife already went to canada 6 months ago and she took Half of the gold with her , I gave her a copy of the form but she ended up not using it as nobody asked her anything about it or about jewelery in general ?

now is it ok that take the other half with me ? the problem is that she exchanged most of the items in the half i'm brining and they are not the same as the ones we listed in our forms three years ago !

Do I have to notify the officer and explain to him why it does not match or I simply not use the form and if asked say this is my wife personal jewelry that i'm bribing and it is for her personal use ???

I really do not understand the mechanism of the goods to follow list ? is it something you use when you ship somethings that will follow you after landing ? or it is used for things you bring with you ?

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
Could somebody please answer me ? is personal gold prohibited unless mentioned in goods to follow/accompany list , or we could bring whatever personal jewelry we own ?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Right thing to do would be to pay duty on the items that are not mentioned on the Goods to Follow list.

If you want to roll the dice, then please note that most of the times CBSA agents just allow goods to go through if those are being accompanied by PR. Little risky though as you might end up paying duty and fine if caught.

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
Right thing to do would be to pay duty on the items that are not mentioned on the Goods to Follow list.

If you want to roll the dice, then please note that most of the times CBSA agents just allow goods to go through if those are being accompanied by PR. Little risky though as you might end up paying duty and fine if caught.
Thank you for your reply , So you mean even they are used and for my wife personal use then still we have to pay customs on them!

So for future notice does this means that any Canadian or Pr should always buy jewelry from Canada and cant buy from another country unless he or she pays customs?

thanks

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thank you for your reply , So you mean even they are used and for my wife personal use then still we have to pay customs on them!

So for future notice does this means that any Canadian or Pr should always buy jewelry from Canada and cant buy from another country unless he or she pays customs?

thanks
yes to both your questions.

CBSA does allow some exemption . Check this page:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html