+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing my spouse to Canada - which way to choose?

Kysorb

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
APR 2, 2014
AOR Received.
MAY 22, 2014
File Transfer...
MAY 26, 2014 <br>AOR2 Received: SEP 9, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SEP 24, 2014 <br>Decision Made: OCT 13, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
OCT 18, 2014
LANDED..........
NOV 10, 2014
Lillite said:
3. Would it be easier to marry outside the Canada or inside the Canada (when he comes on a visitor status)? Does it make any difference for the following PR application?
As people said it makes no difference - however - if it's in a different language you will need to get it translated.. that takes time and money.

tarom

Mar 27, 2013
Hi all,

I want to bring my spouse to Canada too, I am a permanent resident.

If she comes as a visitor and we file an inland application (she is from Romania) can she go back and wait until we get any news for her work permit? Will this affect her work permit or inland application at all? It's now clear to me if she MUST stay in Canada or if it's ok to go back.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
tarom said:
Hi all,

I want to bring my spouse to Canada too, I am a permanent resident.

If she comes as a visitor and we file an inland application (she is from Romania) can she go back and wait until we get any news for her work permit? Will this affect her work permit or inland application at all? It's now clear to me if she MUST stay in Canada or if it's ok to go back.
yes, it is clear that if someone applies INLAND then they must remain INSIDE canada during the processing, and must be co-habitating with their sponsor. Your spouse can't apply inland and return to her home country to await an open work permit, that is guaranteeing her application will be cancelled. If she intends to leave canada, then she can not apply inland or be eligible for a work permit, simple as that.

Depending on the current trend for her visa office, your spouse may be better off applying OUTLAND. Really, if she doesn't intend to reside in canada during the application process, then this is her ONLY option. Note the posted processing times on the CIC website are NOT ACCURATE for what applicants are actually facing. It's best to find the thread specific to that visa office to see what current applicants are facing for wait times. For example, Ottawa is listed as 16 months. Current applicants are getting processed in 3-7 months total time.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
Tarom,

if your spouse files an inland application and she go backs to Romania, her application will probably be dismissed. Inland applicants must remain in Canada for the duration of processing.

Even though her visa office might have a rather long processing time, it will probably still be faster than an inland application, and there will be no travel restrictions - she can come visit you during the application.

tarom

Mar 27, 2013
Thank you all guys, appreciate your input..!!

rhcohen2014 if this is true and we can have results sooner than 16 months, that would be really something :)