+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing my car from Australia

Api123

Apr 16, 2014
Hi there, the title sums up what my post will be about.

I'll start off with giving you a bit of a run down about me. I lived in Vancouver for 18months 2014-15 and met my partner during this time. We have lived together in Australia since then and she sponsored me to get my PR so we are moving back permanently soon.

I like to do some motorsports as a hobby. I have a 93 Peugeot 205 and I would really like to bring it with me as they don't exist in Canada. It's going to cost a lot to ship the car but it's worth it.

I'm having trouble finding information about bringing my car over. There are forum posts about importing cars from the US but that doesn't seem helpful. Have many people brought their cars along to Canada from over seas (aussie in particular) when they have immigrated? What requirements does my car have to meet?

Are there any people on this forum that have moved over from Australia and shipped stuff? How much does it cost to bring a 20ft container over and what did it cost you? I'm looking for a company that is reasonable priced so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
The following circumstances allow people to import vehicles from a country other than the United States:

• The vehicle is 15 years old or older, based on the month and year of its manufacture, it belongs to a regulated class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Act) and is not a bus.
  • The vehicle is a bus manufactured before January 1, 1971.
  • The vehicle is non-regulated, meaning it does not belong to a class of vehicle regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations.
  • The vehicle meets all Canadian standards, and was bought NEW as part of a manufacturer's foreign buyer program abroad. The importer must pre-authorize the vehicle's entry with Transport Canada.
  • The vehicle is a returning Canadian-specification vehicle – originally owned in Canada - and it still complies with Canadian standards. The importer can request pre-authorization from Transport Canada for the vehicle's entry.
Find out more about importing vehicles by reading:

Contact us for more information on importing vehicles
Transport Canada
Motor Vehicle Safety

Telephone: 1-800-333-0371 (toll-free), 1-613-998-8616 (Ottawa region)
Email: mvs-sa@tc.gc.ca

For shipping, you might want to get some estimates from international shippers in Aussie

Reactions: YVR123

Api123

Apr 16, 2014
the
The following circumstances allow people to import vehicles from a country other than the United States:

• The vehicle is 15 years old or older, based on the month and year of its manufacture, it belongs to a regulated class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Act) and is not a bus.
  • The vehicle is a bus manufactured before January 1, 1971.
  • The vehicle is non-regulated, meaning it does not belong to a class of vehicle regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations.
  • The vehicle meets all Canadian standards, and was bought NEW as part of a manufacturer's foreign buyer program abroad. The importer must pre-authorize the vehicle's entry with Transport Canada.
  • The vehicle is a returning Canadian-specification vehicle – originally owned in Canada - and it still complies with Canadian standards. The importer can request pre-authorization from Transport Canada for the vehicle's entry.
Find out more about importing vehicles by reading:

Transport Canada
Motor Vehicle Safety

For shipping, you might want to get some estimates from international shippers in Aussie

Sorry for the slow reply. So my car is 25 years old so it would fall into the 15 years or older catagory. Is it as simple as that to know if it will make it through the boarder? what other things do i need to have ready with the car?

Is it possible to ship the car to Tecoma then drive it over the boarder?

The cost of a container is looking a bit more than i can afford right now because we are trying to start a business so can we import it a few months after we have been in canada?

sorry about having so many questions. I have a lot to ask and struggling to find a black and white answer

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I would probably reach out to the Government Agency assigned to handle this

Transport Canada
Motor Vehicle Safety

And since you are in Australia, you can always email them, versus calling them with the time difference,and then get the answers to your questions in black and white, versus potentially going thru double the trouble of importing the item thru the USA, then doing it all over again by importing it again into Canada

Note Sydney Au, is 15+ hours ahead of Ottawa