+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing money to Canada

SunnyJassi

Aug 24, 2022
Hi

My parents are selling their home in India and have told me that they will be sending me partial proceeds of the sale. I am not on title of the home in India but will be a benefactor as a result of the sale.

We are all new to this and have no idea of how this works. Do I have to pay tax in Canada? In essence, it is an inheritance. I am a Canadian citizen (born here).

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

My parents are selling their home in India and have told me that they will be sending me partial proceeds of the sale. I am not on title of the home in India but will be a benefactor as a result of the sale.

We are all new to this and have no idea of how this works. Do I have to pay tax in Canada? In essence, it is an inheritance. I am a Canadian citizen (born here).

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!
The money can be gifted. If you transfer over 10k you have to make sure you have a paper trail of where the money is coming. Larger transfers are flagged for potential money laundering.

SunnyJassi

Aug 24, 2022
Thanks. It will be quite a bit over 10k so it will definitely be flagged. I'm assuming there will be some sort of home sale paperwork that I can provide.