+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing money from overseas

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
So, can someone help with understanding the bottom line.
a) I have 100,000 CAD with me in my home country that I earned before setting foot in Canada and becoming a PR. This money is earned tax-free for instance let's say from UAE and placed into an NRE account in India where again it's tax-free. But the bottom line it was earned before becoming PR.
b) I take 10,000 CAD with me to Canada while landing and live there permanently.
c) 90,000 CAD stays back in my home country while generating interest every year for the next years.
d) Interest income from the 90,000 CAD is taxed every year. We are aware of this fact and it is fine.
e) After 5 years I want to transfer 90,000 CAD to my Canadian bank account as is. Would this 90,000 be taxed then? My understanding is that 90K CAD was earned before I became PR so no tax is levied on it.

appreciate some clarity and if anyone has any official CRA links on this matter would help us. Been searching but could not get anything concrete.
There is no tax on the 90K as it's not an income, the tax would be on the interest part that 90K would have generated. Eventhough it's tax free in NRE account, but it'd be taxed in Canada as Global income.

Canadatalk

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
Hello Experts,
I am in Canada for close to 2 years, and planning to transfer some of my saving in USD ( from USA bank account) to Canada in (CAD to my Canadian bank account) this saving is from the earning with employment over 5 years in USA and I have paid tax in USA on my earning during this period. just wanted to check if this transfer from USD to CAD will trigger any tax implication with CRA and need any declaration while filing tax here in Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Experts,
I am in Canada for close to 2 years, and planning to transfer some of my saving in USD ( from USA bank account) to Canada in (CAD to my Canadian bank account) this saving is from the earning with employment over 5 years in USA and I have paid tax in USA on my earning during this period. just wanted to check if this transfer from USD to CAD will trigger any tax implication with CRA and need any declaration while filing tax here in Canada.
Tax implication has not changed. Read previous posts.

vivek901

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
App. Filed.......
28-01-2002
Doc's Request.
19-11-2007
Med's Request
14-04-2008
Med's Done....
24-05-2008
Passport Req..
21-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2008
LANDED..........
30-04-2009
I have some doubts about bringing money to Canada from India.
I talked to one local agent regarding this and his answer made me curious. He said that can be easily done and everything will be done in such a way that I do not have to pay any taxes in Canada.
Please note that the money in India is legal on which proper taxes have been paid.
I am wondering if he has some escape route or are there really no taxes to be paid in Canada.
Can the experts please shed some light on this?

On another note, is there a possibility to give that money(in INR) to a friend's relative in India and in return take CAD from the Canadian friend?
Are there any tax implications for any of us in this transaction?

Thanks in advance.
I got 66K $ from India. Money was routed through parents as a gift. Gift is not taxed in Canada- Easy and straightforward process

elganador

Dec 6, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
19-12-2020
Hello there.
Say I bought some USA stocks from outside of Canada for USD 1000 and it later on it grows to USD 2000. Now when I obtain a Canadian PR, and I arrive in Canada, can I sell those stocks and get the money into my Canadian bank? And is the the same scenario for other assets like cryptocurrency?

YASASWI GOMES

Jun 14, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Vijayawada
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
15-09-2018
Doc's Request.
15-09-2018
That is another issue. I went to some other country like a millionaire carrying all notes and waving them around at pubs, throwing away tips etc. Someone pickpocketed me after a week’s arrival and my big bundle reduced to a small amount. Since then, travel cards are better. I stopped flashing money. Wish I was careful from the beginning,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is another issue. I went to some other country like a millionaire carrying all notes and waving them around at pubs, throwing away tips etc. Someone pickpocketed me after a week’s arrival and my big bundle reduced to a small amount. Since then, travel cards are better. I stopped flashing money. Wish I was careful from the beginning,
But travel cards especially those without pin are not safe. You could be scanned or pick pocketed too.

Reactions: YASASWI GOMES

YASASWI GOMES

Jun 14, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Vijayawada
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
15-09-2018
Doc's Request.
15-09-2018
But travel cards especially those without pin are not safe. You could be scanned or pick pocketed too.
Txs. Since burglary is just a 2% chance, carry cash and quickly deposit into a bank is a safe practice.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
I got 66K $ from India. Money was routed through parents as a gift. Gift is not taxed in Canada- Easy and straightforward process
This is quite terrible advice if read literally. Routing income through your parents to claim it as a gift would be Fraud, with all the consequences of such act. Now if it is not routed through but actually not your income, just an actual gift from your parents it is indeed not taxed in Canada, taxes have been paid by your parents already.

Regarding the stock question, it is quite complicated, but the value of those stocks at the time you become a resident would be tax free, any value it gains, dividend received, so on and so forth, between that date and the date you sell them, would be taxable. But yes you could either transfer your portfolio from the US to Canada then sell it or cash it and transfer the money, whichever is best regarding fees.

Reactions: YVR123

vivek901

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
App. Filed.......
28-01-2002
Doc's Request.
19-11-2007
Med's Request
14-04-2008
Med's Done....
24-05-2008
Passport Req..
21-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2008
LANDED..........
30-04-2009
I had got money from India to Canada (around 50k) and it is not taxed in Canada. If you earn interest on that it will be taxed.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
I had got money from India to Canada (around 50k) and it is not taxed in Canada. If you earn interest on that it will be taxed.
The point is not that, your blank statement of "getting money from India as not taxable in Canada" is just wrong, so as mentioned if read literally, you are giving terrible advice by saying that. In your case, it was perhaps not taxable and in many situation, yes it will not be taxable. BUT if that money is earned while you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes, it is indeed taxable. Therefore it is important to be precise in tax advice.

If that money is either a gift (and a real one not fraud) or earned before becoming a resident of Canada for tax purposes, then it is not taxable, otherwise it is fully taxable in Canada (but tax treaties prevent double taxation in most cases).

Reactions: YVR123

saani

Jul 29, 2017
I am PR of Canada but currently outside, i landed got PR card and left. At that time I declared the things which ll follow afterwards. But i am little worried about my property in my hometown. I bought it before getting PR and have all documents, some are from my inheritance , already paid tax in my home country, what ll be the case when i ll sell it and bring the money to Canada via bank? Like after moving to Canada for good, may be next year. But i am planning to sell the property while buying house in Canada not before that. I have to pay tax on it?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am PR of Canada but currently outside, i landed got PR card and left. At that time I declared the things which ll follow afterwards. But i am little worried about my property in my hometown. I bought it before getting PR and have all documents, some are from my inheritance , already paid tax in my home country, what ll be the case when i ll sell it and bring the money to Canada via bank? Like after moving to Canada for good, may be next year. But i am planning to sell the property while buying house in Canada not before that. I have to pay tax on it?
It depends when you establish yourself as a Canadian resident for tax purposes. If you became tax resident after you sell the foreign property, then you pay capital gain tax on the difference. If you in fact carry a loss, then you don't any tax on it.

saani

Jul 29, 2017
It depends when you establish yourself as a Canadian resident for tax purposes. If you became tax resident after you sell the foreign property, then you pay capital gain tax on the difference. If you in fact carry a loss, then you don't any tax on it.
Thnx for your quick response. What about inheritance? I have to pay tax on it whenever i sell it? The property bought before becoming PR is taxable?