+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing medications to Canada

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
Hi.

I will be making my first landing in April and wanted to understand, firstly, whether I can bring medicines in my checked baggage? I would only be bringing over-the-counter medicines (at least they are OTC in Saudi Arabia).

Secondly, how do I get to know which medicines are prohibited to bring and which aren't? Is there an official list posted by Canada? And if a medicine in Saudi Arabia that can be acquired OTC but requires prescription in Canada, are there consequences for bringing that medicine to Canada without a prescription? Again how would I know which medicines require prescription in Canada while I'm sitting in Saudi Arabia?

Thirdly, do medicines have to be in their original packing with leaflets indicating the contents of the medicine? If I bring Augmentin and Panadol that have been partially used, is that an issue?

I may be overthinking and worrying too much but I don't want to break any law, even unknowingly.

Would greatly appreciate if someone can guide me on this. Thanks.

bdroid89

Feb 5, 2019
Do I have to declare over-the-counter/prescription medication in BSF186 form? I'm landing for the first time as a PR.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do I have to declare over-the-counter/prescription medication in BSF186 form? I'm landing for the first time as a PR.
You need to make sure the medications are legal in Canada and can only bring a 90 day supply of any prescription medication. No you don’t need to declare them.

Reactions: bdroid89

bdroid89

Feb 5, 2019
You need to make sure the medications are legal in Canada and can only bring a 90 day supply of any prescription medication. No you don’t need to declare them.
They are fairly typical hypertension medication, flu/headache (over the counter) meds, and some eye drops. I will make sure to include a proper prescription for them.

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
They are fairly typical hypertension medication, flu/headache (over the counter) meds, and some eye drops. I will make sure to include a proper prescription for them.
Just curious, why do you have to import parity products. The CBSA has an interest in drug importation. It is an area you best leave alone. Buy at Rexall and get a generic for your blood pressure meds.

bdroid89

Feb 5, 2019
Just curious, why do you have to import parity products. The CBSA has an interest in drug importation. It is an area you best leave alone. Buy at Rexall and get a generic for your blood pressure meds.
Don't want to go shopping for meds the next day and because they are cheaper in my home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would google if they are legal in Canada. Some things available abroad are not legal in Canada.