+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing jewelry 1 year after hard landing

• Thread starter Deleted member 1083629
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1083629

Hey guys,

I have a question. I will be landing soon and my wife will declare some pieces of jewelry. However, there is some pieces left in our home country and we will be able to pick them up only 1 year after hard landing. Will we need to pay taxes on those jewelers or is there some type of limit that is tax free?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

I have a question. I will be landing soon and my wife will declare some pieces of jewelry. However, there is some pieces left in our home country and we will be able to pick them up only 1 year after hard landing. Will we need to pay taxes on those jewelers or is there some type of limit that is tax free?
As long as your goods to follow list is not completed, any goods listed there to be followed at another date would not be taxed.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as your goods to follow list is not completed, any goods listed there to be followed at another date would not be taxed.
There has to be a defined window of time to complete the BSF186A Form.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Isn’t there some monetary value limit where residents can bring goods tax-free? Or it’s not related to jewelry and related only to duty-free items?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought @steaky answered that, but...

When you land, you will declare what you have brought with you into Canada. Those items (unless they are brand new, meaning that you already owned them) should be tax/duty free. You will then complete the `Goods to Follow' forms where you will list/itemize any and all items that you will be bring with you when you `move' to Canada to settle. Again, those items will be treated just like those in your initial Goods forms.

You say that your wife will be bringing jewelry, but is she also landing as a PR at the same time as you?

When you become a PR and are living in Canada, if you leave Canada for more than 48 hours, you can bring back up to $800 worth of goods tax/duty free (with certain conditions/exclusions).

D

Deleted member 1083629

I thought @steaky answered that, but...

When you land, you will declare what you have brought with you into Canada. Those items (unless they are brand new, meaning that you already owned them) should be tax/duty free. You will then complete the `Goods to Follow' forms where you will list/itemize any and all items that you will be bring with you when you `move' to Canada to settle. Again, those items will be treated just like those in your initial Goods forms.

You say that your wife will be bringing jewelry, but is she also landing as a PR at the same time as you?

When you become a PR and are living in Canada, if you leave Canada for more than 48 hours, you can bring back up to $800 worth of goods tax/duty free (with certain conditions/exclusions).
Yes. My wife will be landing with me. The jewelry costs way less than 800 CAD. It’s a Swarovski type of necklace that has a sentimental value. I would be happy to declare it but it’s a different country and we cannot go back to that country for now to take pictures or anything like that. I was looking online and discovered that after one hard landed and became PR, he or she can bring goods from abroad that is less than 800 CAD (depending on the timeline). One thing is that I am not sure if that’s related to items bought in duty free or any item. If latter, then I am thinking about taking that Swarovski to their shop 1-2 years after we land, get an estimate price (shouldn’t be more than 100 CAD) and then bring it back to Canada with my wife wearing it on her.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes. My wife will be landing with me. The jewelry costs way less than 800 CAD. It’s a Swarovski type of necklace that has a sentimental value. I would be happy to declare it but it’s a different country and we cannot go back to that country for now to take pictures or anything like that. I was looking online and discovered that after one hard landed and became PR, he or she can bring goods from abroad that is less than 800 CAD (depending on the timeline). One thing is that I am not sure if that’s related to items bought in duty free or any item. If latter, then I am thinking about taking that Swarovski to their shop 1-2 years after we land, get an estimate price (shouldn’t be more than 100 CAD) and then bring it back to Canada with my wife wearing it on her.
As a PR or citizen travelling out for 48 hours or more and returning to Canada, there is a tax exemption for goods valued at $800 CND or less.
So it the jewelry only cost less than 800 (or 100), and she is not bringing much other things along, that should be fine. No need to go through the complicated process of Goods to Follow.

• Residents can bring back, tax and duty free, goods valued at CAN$200 after being away for 24 hours, and goods valued at CAN$800 after 48 hours. There are no personal exemptions for same-day cross-border shopping trips so be prepared to pay tax on those purchases and possibly duty.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/checklist-aidememoire-eng.html

D

Deleted member 1083629

As a PR or citizen travelling out for 48 hours or more and returning to Canada, there is a tax exemption for goods valued at $800 CND or less.
So it the jewelry only cost less than 800 (or 100), and she is not bringing much other things along, that should be fine. No need to go through the complicated process of Goods to Follow.

• Residents can bring back, tax and duty free, goods valued at CAN$200 after being away for 24 hours, and goods valued at CAN$800 after 48 hours. There are no personal exemptions for same-day cross-border shopping trips so be prepared to pay tax on those purchases and possibly duty.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/checklist-aidememoire-eng.html
You are correct. I reached out to CBSA directly and they told me exactly what you have written.

Reactions: YVR123