Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've traveled a couple of times from India to Canada (Toronto) before, but have never brought fresh vegetables or fruit into the country.

This time however, we're bringing about 5-6kg of a vartiety of vegetables and a handful of fruits for the 14 day quarantine. Yes, there's instacart and walmart and stuff, but they don't deliver Indian vegetables, plus finding delivery slots can be a challenge.

Coming to my question, has anyone successfully brought some fresh veggies into Canada from a non-US country? This URL says, "Depending on the country of origin, entry may be severely restricted or prohibited", but doesn't elaborate on the restrictions.

Thank you in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I've traveled a couple of times from India to Canada (Toronto) before, but have never brought fresh vegetables or fruit into the country.

This time however, we're bringing about 5-6kg of a vartiety of vegetables and a handful of fruits for the 14 day quarantine. Yes, there's instacart and walmart and stuff, but they don't deliver Indian vegetables, plus finding delivery slots can be a challenge.

Coming to my question, has anyone successfully brought some fresh veggies into Canada from a non-US country? This URL says, "Depending on the country of origin, entry may be severely restricted or prohibited", but doesn't elaborate on the restrictions.

Thank you in advance!
\Would really discourage bringing produce especially. You could end up having a large number of them thrown out the cost of carrying 5-6kg of vegetables doesn't make sense. I'm sure you can survive either getting similar vegetables for 14 days or you may be able to get exactly what you want. Would assume that anything with seed will get thrown out at the very minimum.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thank you in advance!
The restrictions change regularly based on issues identified which I think it why there isn't an actual list. Technically you can get more information through the Horticultural link but you have to read through a ton of bulletins and you still might not find the answer to your question. General best practice is to only bring foods that are packaged (i.e. canned or dried).

If you want to bring fresh food, you ultimately won't know until you get to customs if you'll be able to keep it. As long as you declare that you have food and are prepared to have it all confiscated if it doesn't meet requirements, there's no issue. It's only a problem if you don't declare it.

Make sure the fruits and vegetables are extremely clean. Absolutely no dirt on them.

Reactions: savarana

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019

Thank you in advance!
There are many stores that carry veggies from overseas, do a search for Indian food stores, do you have somebody who can shop for you during your isolation, they would know where to get it. If not, is there a community website or forum for the Indian community where you will be, you might find somebody willing to help with your shopping.

Reactions: canuck78

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that if anything is likely to be confiscated it would more than likely be any fruit which is a common restriction going into many countries not just Canada so at least avoid fruit if you insist on going ahead with this plan. Also as above always declare all food as there are financial penalties for not doing so as well as possible confiscation.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I think they don't want to bring your own fresh produce because it could be harboring a foreign pest or disease that could threaten the native ecosystems and farms. Here in California, which is major agricultural state, we have agricultural checkpoints when you drive in from another state. They ask you where you're coming from, and if you're bringing in any fresh produce; if you have anything, you get pulled over for inspection and anything they catch gets thrown out.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

Thank you in advance!
Get used to Canadian produce and life will become less complicated.

savarana

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to add to future googlers, we did bring some fresh produce and declared them to the immigration officer. We also went through the red "goods to declare" line and let the officer there know as well. We let both of them know that we got food for isolation, for the first couple days before we could order online.

Our bags weren't opened and food wasn't thrown out.

YMMV

Get used to Canadian produce and life will become less complicated.
From which part of my query did you infer that we hadn't got used to Canadian produce?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just to add to future googlers, we did bring some fresh produce and declared them to the immigration officer. We also went through the red "goods to declare" line and let the officer there know as well. We let both of them know that we got food for isolation, for the first couple days before we could order online.

Our bags weren't opened and food wasn't thrown out.

YMMV

From which part of my query did you infer that we hadn't got used to Canadian produce?
I would encourage people to use weight allowed for your luggage for more important things and don't risk paying extra baggage fees for veggies. Lots of options in Canada especially in the larger cities.

savarana

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would encourage people to use weight allowed for your luggage for more important things and don't risk paying extra baggage fees for veggies. Lots of options in Canada especially in the larger cities.
I hope you'll re-read my OP because I'm not a newcomer and neither was I giving up important luggage in lieu for veggies.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Still doesn't make sense to bring vegetables from abroad especially if you're not a newcomer.
Before the border was closed early in the year, I used to get my groceries (including veggies) in a regular basis from the states.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Before the border was closed early in the year, I used to get my groceries (including veggies) in a regular basis from the states.
We are not referring to going grocery shopping across the border. The discussion involves traveling by plane with produce.