+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing family members (mother in law)

krazylegz

May 10, 2023
Good morning,

I have been looking into immigrating to Canada for a while now, but the issue we have is our mother in law since she currently lives with us in the UK.

My wife has been doing care work fro quite some time now and is close to completing her management NVQ.

My question is that if we were to try and come across on the home care pilot would the MIL be allowed to come with us or would it still be a case of having to wait until we could get PR? She is retired and has enough money to see out her days so won't be wanting to claim anything overthere.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Good morning,

I have been looking into immigrating to Canada for a while now, but the issue we have is our mother in law since she currently lives with us in the UK.

My wife has been doing care work fro quite some time now and is close to completing her management NVQ.

My question is that if we were to try and come across on the home care pilot would the MIL be allowed to come with us or would it still be a case of having to wait until we could get PR? She is retired and has enough money to see out her days so won't be wanting to claim anything overthere.

Is this your spouse coming through the HCCP program? Does she have a job offer and meet requirements? Your MIL is not your family member for the application. Your family members are a spouse and children under 22. She can apply for a visitor visa and visit you. Attached is the definition.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship/helpcentre/glossary.html#

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good morning,

Your MIL will not be able to move to Canada with you. At best, she will be allowed to visit periodically as a tourist but will need to make sure she continues to primarily reside in her home country.

Once you have PR, have lived in Canada for a minimum of three years and meet the minimum income requirements, you will be able to enter a lottery to hope to be selected for the parent / grandparent sponsorship lottery. Assuming you are selected, apply and are approved, your MIL will then be able to move to Canada and live here.

As said above, your MIL is not classified as a dependent family member per Canadian immigration rules. This means she cannot be included in your application and cannot move with you.

krazylegz

May 10, 2023
Thanks for the replies both, we have not applied through any program yet as the wife won't leave her mum so was trying to do some reseach to see if there was any that we could use to get her over but looks like its out of the window for now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the replies both, we have not applied through any program yet as the wife won't leave her mum so was trying to do some reseach to see if there was any that we could use to get her over but looks like its out of the window for now.
It would be limited to visiting Canada temporarily. She cannot move here with you.

Unfortunately there are no options in Canada that would allow your MIL to move here with you. Canada's immigration programs do not recognize her as a dependent.

If the priority is to have your MIL move with you if you go somewhere, you'll need to cross Canada off that list and investigate other countries for feasibility.

Reactions: canuck78

krazylegz

May 10, 2023
Yeah thats the impression I am getting as reading up my only options seem to be to try and get PR (which could take a few years working over there) then try for a supervisa whilst waiting on the parent lottery, which again there is no guarantee she will be granted one of those either.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah thats the impression I am getting as reading up my only options seem to be to try and get PR (which could take a few years working over there) then try for a supervisa whilst waiting on the parent lottery, which again there is no guarantee she will be granted one of those either.
Yes, all of that is correct. And her health at the time of these applications will also play a factor.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
PR will take years as it is based on a lottery and you need to meet LICO for at minimum of 3 years to enter it. It is very popular and your MIL may be selected or not. Some people are in the lottery pool for years. Supervisa is an option if you meet LICO. It is still a visitor visa so she needs to show ties to home country too. For a supervisa and PR, she would need to pass a medical. For a supervisa, she has to purchase health insurance. As a visitor, she cannot access health/social services.

Does your wife have a job lined up through HCCP?

krazylegz

May 10, 2023
PR will take years as it is based on a lottery and you need to meet LICO for at minimum of 3 years to enter it. It is very popular and your MIL may be selected or not. Some people are in the lottery pool for years. Supervisa is an option if you meet LICO. It is still a visitor visa so she needs to show ties to home country too. For a supervisa and PR, she would need to pass a medical. For a supervisa, she has to purchase health insurance. As a visitor, she cannot access health/social services.

Does your wife have a job lined up through HCCP?
No job lined up as of yet as we were reviewing what programs we could use, it was a toss up between the HCCP through the wife or AAIP for me with being a truck driver but neither seem fruitful due to quite low CRS score due to age (41) and no univertisty degree so EE would also be out of the window.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No job lined up as of yet as we were reviewing what programs we could use, it was a toss up between the HCCP through the wife or AAIP for me with being a truck driver but neither seem fruitful due to quite low CRS score due to age (41) and no univertisty degree so EE would also be out of the window.
The job through HCCP must be with an individual employer (family, senior etc.) and not a retirement/nursing home. AAIP is through Express Entry unless with a rural community endorsement (Rural Renewal Stream) but not sure trucking would be included.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Supervisa is based on income earned in Canada which is why most do not qualify for at least a year. NOA (Canadian tax return) is the preferred proof of income for the NOA. There is a huge demand for limited spots for parent sponsorship and the demand is only set to increase because the volume of immigrants has been increasing. In the past few years there has been a prioritization for those who have been in Canada the longest. There are a few who get lucky and get selected after 3 years of earning a certain income but others who have not gotten selected after applying for 5-10 years. That is one of the reason that there has been a push to attempt to prioritize those who have been waiting the longest. We’ll need to see what the application will look like this year but due to the volume of applicants a process to prioritize those who have been waiting the longest is likely in the future. There is also no guarantee the parent sponsorship program will continue forever. The health system is in crisis and Canada has an ageing population. Realistically the system can’t deal with parent sponsorship at the moment but whether there is eventually public pressure to assess whether parent sponsorship is feasible is tough to predict. Whether a supervisa should last 5 years and what type of pressure the long visits put on the healthcare system and whether parents return home when they can’t extend their visit any longer will also have to be assessed. The length of stay on a supervisa has only recently been changed from 2 years to 5 years.

In general if your MIL wants to continue living with you then Canada is likely not a good option for you. If you come to Canada your MIL needs to be prepared for some separation for at least the first year. The fact that she is living with you will raise concern that she will try to do so in Canada and is not a true visit. If she doesn’t have permanent status in the UK it will also be difficult to show that she has strong ties to her home country like a home in her home country and proof that she has been spending time in her home country.