+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing dependant children while on open work permit?

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
Asking on behalf of a friend, can't seem to find a concrete answer thorough Google.

I have recently been granted an open work permit (upon completion of my education) in Canada. Can I bring my daughter to Canada now as my dependent? And also if I can bring her, can she study in school in Ontario and if so what kind of school fees would I be paying?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Asking on behalf of a friend, can't seem to find a concrete answer thorough Google.

I have recently been granted an open work permit (upon completion of my education) in Canada. Can I bring my daughter to Canada now as my dependent? And also if I can bring her, can she study in school in Ontario and if so what kind of school fees would I be paying?
Your friend could have brought their daughter when they were a student.

Yes.

No fees for public school.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No fees but they should be looking whether her budget can accommodate childcare expenses. Parents working full-time often need to pay for childcare after school since school end mid afternoon and sometimes before school. You also need to pay for childcare during the summer and school holidays. Summer camps or childcare is very expensive. She won’t qualify for child benefit for 18 months.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No fees but they should be looking whether her budget can accommodate childcare expenses. Parents working full-time often need to pay for childcare after school since school end mid afternoon and sometimes before school. You also need to pay for childcare during the summer and school holidays. Summer camps or childcare is very expensive. She won’t qualify for child benefit for 18 months.
The person has a PGWP. It can be assumed s/he has been here at least 10 months, if not longer, and so the CCB waiting period will not be 18 months.