+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit

Berm88

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Hi all,

Ok so I phoned the CIC Call Center and provided my UCI number and they told me I was eligible to apply online for an open work permit however, when I fill out the questionnaire to do so, it asks if I've received first stage approval from my permanent residency application.. all I have is my AOR. This isn't first stage of approval is it?

Also, the questionnaire then asks if I have an LMO, last I checked I didn't require an LMO. I currently have a PGWP and am waiting to hear on my permanent residency under the CEC program. On the CIC website it says that is you've received an AOR you can apply for a bridging work permit but when I fill out the questionnaire it says I cannot at this time...

Is anyone else experiencing this? Can anyone help?

Thanks so much!!

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
If this decision has not been entered yet, for the purposes of this Operational Bulletin (OB), a “positive eligibility decision” will also be considered made when it is confirmed in GCMS that:

CEC: the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO.

YES -- the first stage is receiving an AOR, as per OB 485.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

No, you do not require an LMO. This questionnaire is comprehensive and dependent on your responses. Meaning, it is used for more than just CEC. So, just follow each question and answer from a CEC perspective. If you need more detailed info, search my previous posts, and you'll see a detailed step-by-step account of answers for BOWP.

Berm88

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
I have one other question!
Approved in Principle.. does receiving an AOR mean that you're 'approved in principle' for a CEC applicant also?

Thanks CEC :)

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
Yes -- AOR is approved in principle. Doesnt mean much more than just saying that you have passed the initial review, but the final decision is still pending. It does however allow you to apply for BOWP, as mentioned before.

Initial review -- determining whether you have enclosed all of the required documents and that you have provided proper versions (copies vs originals)

Next stage -- determine eligibility of file and so forth

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sukhie said:
Does AOR mean that you meet eligibility criteria??
AOR for CEC application is the eligibility criteria for BOWP, but not for PR.

Sunil_93745

Jan 15, 2024
Hi, I received AOR after filing PR through PNP, non-express entry. AOR has application number and asked me to submit PCC and some fees.

My open work permit expires in Aug 2024. I would like to apply bridging open work permit but for BOWP for PNP class, they are asking "Approved in Principle", so just wondering if AOR can be used as " Approved in Principle"? Or it has to be seperate email mentioning "Approved in Principle".

Please not my PR application is through PNP-Non Express entry .