+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging open work permit work until date and implied status

LumosMaxima

Aug 4, 2021
Hi everyone,

The confirmation letter I got when I submitted my BOWP says that I can't worker after April 19 2022 (4 months after I submitted the BOWP application). But I should be on Implied Status now and should be able to work until a decision is made, right?
Now BOWP processing time is over 4 months, not sure if I can have my BOWP approved before April 19th.

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hi everyone,

The confirmation letter I got when I submitted my BOWP says that I can't worker after April 19 2022 (4 months after I submitted the BOWP application). But I should be on Implied Status now and should be able to work until a decision is made, right?
You can continue to work with the same conditions (employer and occupation) as your previous work permit until the date listed in the letter, or until a decision is made on your BOWP application, whichever comes first.

urvishpatel1996

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
You can continue to work with the same conditions (employer and occupation) as your previous work permit until the date listed in the letter, or until a decision is made on your BOWP application, whichever comes first.
What happens if a decision is not made before that? We can't work?

urvishpatel1996

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
That's my question too. With the current processing time, I don't think we can get BOWP approved within 120 days after we submitted our application.
I saw on a different thread that people have been getting it at 4 months. So I guess we should wait and see. Are you a CEC inland applicant?

LumosMaxima

Aug 4, 2021
Does this mean implied status does not apply to BOWP application?

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
What happens if a decision is not made before that? We can't work?
That's my question too. With the current processing time, I don't think we can get BOWP approved within 120 days after we submitted our application.
The information is online if you search for it.
Here

After you apply online, we’ll send you a letter in your account (WP-EXT except PGWP) that you can use as proof that you’re authorized to keep working, if you’re eligible.

• You can print this letter or show it with your current work permit.
  • The letter is proof that you’re authorized to keep working under the same conditions as your original work permit until we process your application.
    • You can keep working past the expiry date on the letter until we process your application if the conditions are the same as on your original work permit.
Why there’s an expiry date on the letter
Your letter automatically lists an expiry date that’s 120 days from the date we receive your application. The letter expires in 120 days because

• it’s the service standard to process this type of application
  • many employers and health insurance providers will ask for proof that you’re allowed to work
    • an expiry date helps satisfy their concerns about your status and authorization to work in Canada
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter, you can still keep working until we make a decision.

If your employer or others need proof that you can continue to work

• you can show them this web page, or
  • if your employer is not satisfied with the information on this page, you can contact us

Reactions: cz999 and dankboi
Dec 2, 2021
Hi everyone,

Now BOWP processing time is over 4 months, not sure if I can have my BOWP approved before April 19th.
Hi, can you please share your BOWP timeline if possible. BOWP applied and approval date ?