+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging a Post Graduate Work Permit

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
Hello everyone,

Excuse me if this topic has been repeated before, but I haven't found a thread that raises the questions I'm about to raise.

So I currently hold a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) that expires early September of this year. I work full time as a Software Developer. I've applied for the Permanent Residency (PR) through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) last year and my application is still being processed (stuck in background check for a while).

My understanding is that to bridge my PGWP, I simply have to apply for a work permit online. I logged in into my online account, answered the survey questions and got suggested to extend for the work permit, as expected. Here's where it gets tricky though; the additional questions ask about my 'working status' and list a bunch of options, none of which apply and so I selected 'none of the above'. The following question asks if I have an LMIA, for which if I answer 'no' I become ineligible and the application as closed. Since the PGWP is LMIA-exempt (to my knowledge) and there's no 'PGWP' or 'open work permit' option in the question, I selected 'yes' to have the application proceed. Eventually when I arrive at the document upload page, I am required to upload proof of my LMIA approval and of my LMIA-approved job offer. This doesn't apply to me, of course, so I'm thinking the only I can do is upload my employment certificate (and paystubs), a copy of my PGWP, a copy of the PR letter stating that my application is being processed, and perhaps an explanation letter.

Please let me know if my approach is valid, or if I did something wrong or if there's any misunderstanding fro my part.

Sorry for the long post. Any reply is greatly appreciate.
Cheers!

Ellianna

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hello everyone,

Excuse me if this topic has been repeated before, but I haven't found a thread that raises the questions I'm about to raise.

So I currently hold a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) that expires early September of this year. I work full time as a Software Developer. I've applied for the Permanent Residency (PR) through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) last year and my application is still being processed (stuck in background check for a while).

My understanding is that to bridge my PGWP, I simply have to apply for a work permit online. I logged in into my online account, answered the survey questions and got suggested to extend for the work permit, as expected. Here's where it gets tricky though; the additional questions ask about my 'working status' and list a bunch of options, none of which apply and so I selected 'none of the above'. The following question asks if I have an LMIA, for which if I answer 'no' I become ineligible and the application as closed. Since the PGWP is LMIA-exempt (to my knowledge) and there's no 'PGWP' or 'open work permit' option in the question, I selected 'yes' to have the application proceed. Eventually when I arrive at the document upload page, I am required to upload proof of my LMIA approval and of my LMIA-approved job offer. This doesn't apply to me, of course, so I'm thinking the only I can do is upload my employment certificate (and paystubs), a copy of my PGWP, a copy of the PR letter stating that my application is being processed, and perhaps an explanation letter.

Please let me know if my approach is valid, or if I did something wrong or if there's any misunderstanding fro my part.

Sorry for the long post. Any reply is greatly appreciate.
Cheers!
I wouldn't be even worried about extending your work permit now, as your current work permit is valid till September. My work permit is expiring at the end of June and I will be extending it now. If you will be extending your work permit now you will get less time in future. And there is still possibility that you will receive a PR before September.

Reactions: EHKhiari

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
If you will be extending your work permit now you will get less time in future. And there is still possibility that you will receive a PR before September.
Thank you for the response Ellianna.

Would you kindly elaborate on this? Why would get less time in the future if I extend my work permit now?

Thanks!

Ellianna

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Thank you for the response Ellianna.

Would you kindly elaborate on this? Why would get less time in the future if I extend my work permit now?

Thanks!
If you apply now, you will get new work permit lets say within a month. The expiry date on new work permit will be a year after the date they issue you a new one. So, lets say they issue it to you at the end of June 2018, so it will expire at the end of June 2019. But if you wait till August 2018 and get your new work permit in September 2018 it will be valid till September 2019. That's the difference June or September.

Reactions: EHKhiari

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
If you apply now, you will get new work permit lets say within a month. The expiry date on new work permit will be a year after the date they issue you a new one. So, lets say they issue it to you at the end of June 2018, so it will expire at the end of June 2019. But if you wait till August 2018 and get your new work permit in September 2018 it will be valid till September 2019. That's the difference June or September.
I see. I was under the impression that the extension would be a year after the expiry date of the current work permit (September 2019 in this case) rather than one year from now. Are you sure about this? If so then you're right, I'm better off waiting till August.

Thanks!

Ellianna

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa
I see. I was under the impression that the extension would be a year after the expiry date of the current work permit (September 2019 in this case) rather than one year from now. Are you sure about this? If so then you're right, I'm better off waiting till August.

Thanks!
I am. I was extending my work permit last year. It expired on May 21st, but I applied on May 5th for extension. I was granted new work permit on June 28th 2017 and it is valid till June 28th 2018. Now I am about to extend it again.

Reactions: Desaiz and EHKhiari

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
I am. I was extending my work permit last year. It expired on May 21st, but I applied on May 5th for extension. I was granted new work permit on June 28th 2017 and it is valid till June 28th 2018. Now I am about to extend it again.
I see, thanks for the information!

Were you applying for a standard extension or were you 'bridging' your permit (PR-related) like I plan to do?

Thanks again!

Ellianna

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa
I was with post-graduate work permit till May 2017, After that I applied for Bridging Work permit due to PR processing.

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
I was with post-graduate work permit till May 2017, After that I applied for Bridging Work permit due to PR processing.
That's very similar to my case. I wasn't aware that you could bridge your permit twice, I thought you could only do it once.

When you applied for the bridging last year, how did you answer the LMIA-related questions? I was also told to answer 'yes' to getting the 'approval in principal' as that refers to the AOR.

Thank you very much Elliana, again!

Ellianna

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa
That's very similar to my case. I wasn't aware that you could bridge your permit twice, I thought you could only do it once.

When you applied for the bridging last year, how did you answer the LMIA-related questions? I was also told to answer 'yes' to getting the 'approval in principal' as that refers to the AOR.

Thank you very much Elliana, again!
How else I can stay legally and work in Canada if they still process my PR. It is taking them more than a year now. Regarding Approval yes it is AOR, as for the job offer you just answer no. As you want open work permit and without LMIA.

bharish

Jun 7, 2018
NEED HELP URGENT!!!

Hear is my case briefly,
I am on PGWP working for an IT company full time from June 2016 to present,Now I got 451 points on completing 2 years work experience this month, I thought I will get an invitation on JUNE 6 WED,but unfortunately there is no draw yesterday.

My work permit will expire on JUNE 11 Monday and i am still in Express Entry with out ITA. There may be draw next WED which is june 13.
Assuming that my file will pick in the next draw but i may lose my work permit status,
I may not qualify for Bridge work permit.

Please advise your thoughts about my situation.

ZiyodaSh

Sep 28, 2017
Hi guys,
I'm a little confused about the whole AOR thing. I will be submitting my docs for FSWP end of July, (ITA received) and my post grad work permit expires mid-August. From what I'm reading so far is that you don't receive AOR up until couple of weeks or even months? So there's no way for me to apply for bridging work permit?
Please advise

maxi700

Aug 1, 2018
Hi EHKhiari,

Your case is very similar to mine. Could you please let me know if you finally got PR after living in Ottawa and working in Gatineau?

Thanks