+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridge Open Work Permit - Application Process

arshad94

Dec 3, 2019
Hello all,

I am in the midst of applying for the bridge open work permit (BOWP). I've been nominated provincially, and I am awaiting the confirmation from the province, but my current work permit will most likely expire before then.

1. Have you filled out the BOWP request yourselves? It looks quite straightforward. Any areas to focus on?

2. I've read this somewhere about applying for the BOWP, while applying for PR/receiving an invite through the Provincial Nominee Program:

"The employment location on the work permit must be restricted to the nominating province".

However, this is not the case with my situation. I reside and work in one province, but I've been invited to apply through another province. What do I do?

3. Should I get a letter from my current employer?

Please do advise and help.

yoli85

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
If you've been invited by another province where you don't work and live, it seems that you'll need to find another job at the Province that nominated you. For the BOWP you'll have the restriction of working only in that province. Is your PR application paper-based?

arshad94

Dec 3, 2019
If you've been invited by another province where you don't work and live, it seems that you'll need to find another job at the Province that nominated you. For the BOWP you'll have the restriction of working only in that province. Is your PR application paper-based?
So I currently live in Ontario, where I've been working, but I've been invited by Alberta. My intent is to go to Alberta once I have the PR and then get a job there. But on the paper work to fill out for the BOWP, the area for 'intended work in Canada' simply asks for what type of permit, and it's not mandatory to fill the rest out. Can't I just leave it blank?

PR app was NOT paper based - electronically filed by immigration consultant, but I want to do this part myself to save money.

yoli85

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
You can apply yourself for the BOWP (I did), you have the AOR and the Nomination Letter from the Province. However, the BOWP you get will be restricted to Alberta, so you might as well start planning on getting a job and moving to Alberta once you get the BOWP. How long do you have left before your current WP expires?

When you fill out the form, select Open Work Permit as the type (Box 1 in Details of Inteded Work in Canada), and in Box 2a) write BOWP application, Not Applicable. The rest leave it in blank or write Not Applicable if the form doesn't allow you to leave it blank.

Also, remember that once you get the PR when you land you have to convince the Border Agent that you will in fact live and work in the Province that Nominated you. There's no more convincing proof of this if you're already there.

In summary:
- Apply for the BOWP four months before your current WP expires
- Plan on moving to Alberta as soon as you get the BOWP or before you get PR
- Wait for your PR approval if this doen't happen before you even get the BOWP

Good luck!

arshad94

Dec 3, 2019
You can apply yourself for the BOWP (I did), you have the AOR and the Nomination Letter from the Province. However, the BOWP you get will be restricted to Alberta, so you might as well start planning on getting a job and moving to Alberta once you get the BOWP. How long do you have left before your current WP expires?

When you fill out the form, select Open Work Permit as the type (Box 1 in Details of Inteded Work in Canada), and in Box 2a) write BOWP application, Not Applicable. The rest leave it in blank or write Not Applicable if the form doesn't allow you to leave it blank.

Also, remember that once you get the PR when you land you have to convince the Border Agent that you will in fact live and work in the Province that Nominated you. There's no more convincing proof of this if you're already there.

In summary:
- Apply for the BOWP four months before your current WP expires
- Plan on moving to Alberta as soon as you get the BOWP or before you get PR
- Wait for your PR approval if this doen't happen before you even get the BOWP

Good luck!
Hi ! It expires at the end of the month of February. My immigration advisor said we can do it mid-January, because I will have implied status to cover the processing months. Is that correct?

Also, for intended work, I have put the province as Alberta. Since my dates are not finalized yet, I don't have a job offer, per se, though I have been in discussion with some prospective employers. Do you recommend I fill in anything other than the city and province for this section (while also writing BOWP Application in 2A, as you've advised above)?