+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridge of Work Permit (BOWP) for PGWP holders applying through CEC

alfredo_245

Feb 8, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am writing to start a discussion with regards to Bridge of Work Permit for PGWP holders who are applying for PR via the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program. This is my situation:

I studied an Undergrad degree in a Canadian University and I currently have a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). I am currently working in banking as a financial analyst. I already received an invitation to apply for PR and I am planning to apply next week.

I have the following questions regarding BOWP.

As a PGWP I have TWO things; A work permit document (not attached to the passport) AND a sticker/stamp in the passport which shows my personal information, a status of “Worker” and number of entries of “multiple”. I assume that the sticker/stamp in my passport is a working visa that allows me to travel in and out of Canada.

1) What would I get if I receive a BOWP? Would I get a separate document that will only allow me to work? Or would I also get a sticker/stamp visa in my passport that would allow me to travel?

2) In case the BOWP does not allow me to travel, what are my options? I guess I can avoid traveling outside Canada until I receive a decision regarding my PR (approximately 6 months). But I would like to know what my options are in case I need to travel within those 6 months.

3) What is the timeline to receive a BOWP once you apply? I read somewhere it currently takes around 60 days. Can someone advise if BOWP takes the same time as a regular work permit application?

4) When can I apply for BOWP? I have read numerous times people contradicting each other with regards to the BOWP, Positive Eligibility Decision, and Acknowledge of Receipt (AOR). The CIC website says:

“For the purposes of determining if a positive eligibility assessment has been made, the processor will review if the Eligibility Assessment value is set to “Passed” in GCMS. If this decision has not been entered yet, for the purposes of this Operational Bulletin (OB), a “positive eligibility decision” will also be considered made when it is confirmed in GCMS that:

CEC: the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO”

I quote the CEC part only because I will be applying through the CEC program. According to this, CEC candidates only need AOR email to apply for BOWP. Would the automatic email be enough? In that case, if I receive the AOR automatic email can I apply on the same day?

Maybe someone has a link/additional info, or has actually done it already. Please advise.

Thank you all very much.

ranjk89

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
alfredo_245 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am writing to start a discussion with regards to Bridge of Work Permit for PGWP holders who are applying for PR via the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program. This is my situation:

I studied an Undergrad degree in a Canadian University and I currently have a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). I am currently working in banking as a financial analyst. I already received an invitation to apply for PR and I am planning to apply next week.

I have the following questions regarding BOWP.

As a PGWP I have TWO things; A work permit document (not attached to the passport) AND a sticker/stamp in the passport which shows my personal information, a status of “Worker” and number of entries of “multiple”. I assume that the sticker/stamp in my passport is a working visa that allows me to travel in and out of Canada.

1) What would I get if I receive a BOWP? Would I get a separate document that will only allow me to work? Or would I also get a sticker/stamp visa in my passport that would allow me to travel?

2) In case the BOWP does not allow me to travel, what are my options? I guess I can avoid traveling outside Canada until I receive a decision regarding my PR (approximately 6 months). But I would like to know what my options are in case I need to travel within those 6 months.

3) What is the timeline to receive a BOWP once you apply? I read somewhere it currently takes around 60 days. Can someone advise if BOWP takes the same time as a regular work permit application?

4) When can I apply for BOWP? I have read numerous times people contradicting each other with regards to the BOWP, Positive Eligibility Decision, and Acknowledge of Receipt (AOR). The CIC website says:

“For the purposes of determining if a positive eligibility assessment has been made, the processor will review if the Eligibility Assessment value is set to “Passed” in GCMS. If this decision has not been entered yet, for the purposes of this Operational Bulletin (OB), a “positive eligibility decision” will also be considered made when it is confirmed in GCMS that:

CEC: the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO”

I quote the CEC part only because I will be applying through the CEC program. According to this, CEC candidates only need AOR email to apply for BOWP. Would the automatic email be enough? In that case, if I receive the AOR automatic email can I apply on the same day?

Maybe someone has a link/additional info, or has actually done it already. Please advise.

Thank you all very much.
Did you end up applying for BOWP with your automated AOR, did you get any news about your application?

My PGWP expires in August I am going to apply for BOWP soon. What are the documents you had to submit for BOWP online application?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ranjith

questionsasked

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
ranjk89 said:
Did you end up applying for BOWP with your automated AOR, did you get any news about your application?

My PGWP expires in August I am going to apply for BOWP soon. What are the documents you had to submit for BOWP online application?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ranjith

Hi,

Have you applied for your BOWP yet? If so, what documents did you use?

Thanks