+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Breaking up with Common Law partner after FSW application

PresidentMacAwesome

Feb 28, 2015
Hello all

I already submitted my for express entry under the FSW program and they asked for a bit of information about my girlfriend. Now me and my girlfriend are having some problems and we will most likely break up.
Will this affect my application, will they contact her in the future and ask of her anything?

Thank you

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PresidentMacAwesome said:
Hello all

I already submitted my for express entry under the FSW program and they asked for a bit of information about my girlfriend. Now me and my girlfriend are having some problems and we will most likely break up.
Will this affect my application, will they contact her in the future and ask of her anything?

Thank you
I don't think you have given enough information here. Is your girlfriend Canadian? Then it doesn't affect your EE application under FSW UNLESS you got points for having a Canadian relative through her. I don't remember if you get points for a Canadian partner, but you can check, and if you do, subtract those points and see if you still qualify.

Is your girlfriend NOT Canadian, and on your application as a partner? Then you have to tell CIC that you have broken up (once you do) and your points will be recalculated.

Have you already got an ITA? And are your girlfriend's points included with yours? Then you will have to separate them out, recalculate yours, and see if you are still eligible under the draw you were selected for.

Overall, you simply haven't given enough information for anyone to know how it will affect your situation.

PresidentMacAwesome

Feb 28, 2015
Thanks Dobes, I think I was in a hurry when I was writing my question.

My girlfriend is a Canadian Citizen and I am on a work permit living in canada. Other than my girlfriend I do have relatives in
Canada, uncles, aunts, cousins and so on. I don't know if I got any points through her or not.

Wizzy87

Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2015
Doc's Request.
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
15-04-2015
IELTS Request
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-06-2015
Passport Req..
24-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2015
LANDED..........
06-08-2015

My girlfriend is a Canadian Citizen and I am on a work permit living in canada. Other than my girlfriend I do have relatives in
Canada, uncles, aunts, cousins and so on. I don't know if I got any points through her or not.

From what i can see on my invitation to apply document i received, having a partner thats Canadian doesn't give you any points. I think that if you do split up then you should notify cic to be on the safe side, but i don't think it would affect anything.

Good luck, both with her and your application.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

If you did (and I don't think you did) you wouldn't get many, and it would only be FSW points. Applying the way you did under EE rather than under family sponsorship means you will be evaluated on your own merits. If you mentioned her in your application, though, I would take her off, and notify CIC, to be safe (and honest).