+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Break up after landing

Xtheguy

Sep 6, 2020
Hi,
I became PR on Oct 2019 through In-land Spouse/Common-law Sponsorship program. Things don't go well in my relation with my sponsor and we may consider break up at some point. I was wondering if this break up may affect my PR status!
Thanks

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,
I became PR on Oct 2019 through In-land Spouse/Common-law Sponsorship program. Things don't go well in my relation with my sponsor and we may consider break up at some point. I was wondering if this break up may affect my PR status!
Thanks
Short form, no, unless some egregiously obvious case of intentional immigration fraud.

Xtheguy

Sep 6, 2020
Short form, no, unless some egregiously obvious case of intentional immigration fraud.
Who will start that investigation? We did our best for months now!
What is long form? Can you provide me with some resources maybe?! Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Who will start that investigation? We did our best for months now!
What is long form? Can you provide me with some resources maybe?! Thanks
They would generally only begin an investigation if some party - typically a spouse or family member - complains and provides some (credible) information.

Canada is more concerned - generally - about e.g. one spouse using PR status as a weapon against the other to keep them in a relationship (esp abusive) against their will. So the bar for evidence that eg. the relationship constituted immigration fraud is very, very high. Or in other words, the default assumption is usually that it was a relationship that didn't work out.

If as you implied it's just a relationship that didn't work out, you have little to worry about. If there is no-one (like your ex-spouse) that's going to file a complaint, there is almost nothing to worry about.

Both of you can and should just get on with your lives.

Reactions: Xtheguy

Xtheguy

Sep 6, 2020
Thanks for the explanation.

So in general there is no rule or law that bond my PR status with this relation and its future. My main concern was that I may loose my PR if I let government know about my relationship status change.

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
Well if the spousal sponsorship was the reason behind your marriage and your spouse files a complaint with strong evidence to prove. It may get complicated for you when you apply for your citizenship and I know a friend of friend who was denied citizenship as he had defaulted a marriage after getting his PR through spousal sponsorship and they even denied to restore his PR status validity. ( P.S note they did have the evidence that marriage was solely the purpose of getting status in Canada)

Good luck

Reactions: Qwertypod

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Well if the spousal sponsorship was the reason behind your marriage and your spouse files a complaint with strong evidence to prove. It may get complicated for you when you apply for your citizenship and I know a friend of friend who was denied citizenship as he had defaulted a marriage after getting his PR through spousal sponsorship and they even denied to restore his PR status validity. ( P.S note they did have the evidence that marriage was solely the purpose of getting status in Canada)

Good luck
Yes, if there's evidence of immigration fraud, the consequences are serious.

Xtheguy

Sep 6, 2020
What if there is no investigations and no complaints? Will I get asked of this change when I apply for my citizenship next year?

PaoTalamantesh

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Quebec
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
28-12-2019
What if there is no investigations and no complaints? Will I get asked of this change when I apply for my citizenship next year?
If there is no evidence that your marriage or relationship was illegitimate or only existed for you to obtain the PR, there is no condition to the PR anymore. If no one complains, no one investigates and you live in Canada, they will not revoke your PR. There is no longer a requirement to live with your Sponsor, to avoid abusive relationships.

But in order to apply for citizenship you must have lived in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years, among other requirements.

Xtheguy

Sep 6, 2020
If there is no evidence that your marriage or relationship was illegitimate or only existed for you to obtain the PR, there is no condition to the PR anymore. If no one complains, no one investigates and you live in Canada, they will not revoke your PR. There is no longer a requirement to live with your Sponsor, to avoid abusive relationships.

But in order to apply for citizenship you must have lived in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years, among other requirements.
Well I am living in this country for almost 10 years and 6 years out of that with my sponsor. I don't see a point to be worry about in my case as there are plenty of excuses that relation was not based on immigration frauds.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Well I am living in this country for almost 10 years and 6 years out of that with my sponsor. I don't see a point to be worry about in my case as there are plenty of excuses that relation was not based on immigration frauds.
You have nothing to worry about. Every post in this thread has said the same thing.

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023

Well buddy then move on, if the marriage was not for permanent residency feel free to live without any fear but if it was then get a lawyer.

shettyhemant

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
You may want to check your COPR. If the spouse was sponsored, then it is a conditional PR for an x amount of time and the COPR mentions that.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You may want to check your COPR. If the spouse was sponsored, then it is a conditional PR for an x amount of time and the COPR mentions that.
No, the conditions were changed and even if the PR status was conditional when issued, that condition has been removed byt the government (applying to all outstanding conditional PRs at the time of the announcement) - the conditions were simply cancelled.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/04/eliminating_the_imbalanceforsponsoredspousesandpartnersbyremovin.html

Even if it was the case, I believe the conditions were only valid for two years, and any conditional PR issued before april 2017 would have 'aged out' by now anyway.

The same point applies: the OP should not worry about this, unless (and only the OP would likely know) there is some reason to believe that the relationship was fictional/fraudulent. Judging only by the comment about having lived together for many years, sounds very unlikely.

(Note, I'm going only by the announcement linked, I do not know if any other conditional PR status - apart from marriage / family sponsorship - might still apply - i.e. anyone with a different form of PR should check carefully).

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No. Conditional PR was canceled several years ago.