+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brazil to Canada. Visitors Visa to Permanent Resident.

liakts

Feb 26, 2022
Hey everyone!

I hope everyone is good. I will try and keep this simple and get straight to the point.

I have been living in canada with a Visitors Visa on and off for the past 3 years. I got a job offer from a business here in Canada but I was really hoping to be self-employed since I am a professional. My understanding is that to open a buisness I need a SIN number which therefore means I need to be permanent resident. I tried to do it with Express Entry but unfortunetly I cannot since I don´t have an english certification. Is there a way to get permenant residency in my situation without using a work sponsorship.

Please feel free to ask any questions and suggest any possible ways since i need to renew my visa shortly.

Thank you kindly

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everyone!

I hope everyone is good. I will try and keep this simple and get straight to the point.

I have been living in canada with a Visitors Visa on and off for the past 3 years. I got a job offer from a business here in Canada but I was really hoping to be self-employed since I am a professional. My understanding is that to open a buisness I need a SIN number which therefore means I need to be permanent resident. I tried to do it with Express Entry but unfortunetly I cannot since I don´t have an english certification. Is there a way to get permenant residency in my situation without using a work sponsorship.

Please feel free to ask any questions and suggest any possible ways since i need to renew my visa shortly.

Thank you kindly
You can be a temporary resident to apply a SIN number. No need to be permanent resident.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html

liakts

Feb 26, 2022

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your answer ! I did see that since it was updated in 2022. What i don´t understand is that how can it be legal to work when you are here with a visitors visa. And is temporary residency and visitors visa the same thing. I am sorry I am just really confused at this point
They are different things. A visitor visa holder is a temporary resident. So as an intenational student who got student permit is also a temporary resident of Canada.

Reactions: liakts

liakts

Feb 26, 2022
so in that case how do i get this
  • visitor record issued by IRCC or CIC showing that you are authorized to work in Canada
I did not get any simillar document when i did my visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your answer ! I did see that since it was updated in 2022. What i don´t understand is that how can it be legal to work when you are here with a visitors visa. And is temporary residency and visitors visa the same thing. I am sorry I am just really confused at this point
You can’t work as a visitor. There are things like start-up visa options. The easiest option would be to apply for PR.

liakts

Feb 26, 2022
You can’t work as a visitor. There are things like start-up visa options. The easiest option would be to apply for PR.

okay so i feel i am going in circles. I can clearly have a SIN number because i am a temporary resident with a visitors visa. But then i have none of the following documents :

• work permit issued by IRCC or CIC
  • study permit issued by IRCC or CIC which indicates the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada
  • visitor record issued by IRCC or CIC showing that you are authorized to work in Canada
  • diplomatic identity card and a work authorization issued by Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development
And even if i did i still cant use that sin number to make my own business ! So going back to my original question:
I tried to do it with Express Entry but unfortunetly I cannot since I don´t have an english certification. Is there a way to get permenant residency in my situation without using a work sponsorship.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
okay so i feel i am going in circles. I can clearly have a SIN number because i am a temporary resident with a visitors visa. But then i have none of the following documents :

• study permit issued by IRCC or CIC which indicates the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada
  • diplomatic identity card and a work authorization issued by Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development
And even if i did i still cant use that sin number to make my own business ! So going back to my original question:
I tried to do it with Express Entry but unfortunetly I cannot since I don´t have an english certification. Is there a way to get permenant residency in my situation without using a work sponsorship.
You can try the Start Up Visa program if you want to start a business. It takes around 3 years for applications to be processed. You will need to find a designated organization who is willing to support your business idea and invest in your business.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You don’t qualify for a SIN# as a visitor.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

You are confusing the eligibility for getting a SIN number. To get a SIN number as a temporary resident, you are either have an approved work or study permit. Visitors are not eligible for a SIN. So you need to look at the Start Up Visa program or PNP entrepreneur programs where you need a high net worth.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is there a way to get permenant residency in my situation without using a work sponsorship.
What province are you in or have you decided which province? And when you say you don't have English certification, does it mean you just haven't done the test, or you know you can't pass it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

BTW - as others have said, you have misunderstood the rules. You do not qualify for a SIN.

Yes, you are here as a temporary resident. However you do not have a visitor record that specifically states you are authorized to work in Canada. So you do not qualify for a SIN.

See my post above regarding the Start Up Visa immigration program. That is one option for you if you meet the program requirements, including finding a designated organization willing to support your business idea.

At this time, all you are eligible to do is apply to extend your visitor status in Canada. You are not eligible for a SIN or to work or to start your own business. If you have received a job offer in Canada and that employer has obtained an approved LMIA, then I would recommend you apply for a closed work permit which will allow you to work for that employer.

Good luck.

Reactions: armoured and liakts

liakts

Feb 26, 2022
What province are you in or have you decided which province? And when you say you don't have English certification, does it mean you just haven't done the test, or you know you can't pass it?
I am in ontario ! i know i cant pass it.... my english isn´t at a good level yet

liakts

Feb 26, 2022
BTW - as others have said, you have misunderstood the rules. You do not qualify for a SIN.

Yes, you are here as a temporary resident. However you do not have a visitor record that specifically states you are authorized to work in Canada. So you do not qualify for a SIN.

See my post above regarding the Start Up Visa immigration program. That is one option for you if you meet the program requirements, including finding a designated organization willing to support your business idea.

At this time, all you are eligible to do is apply to extend your visitor status in Canada. You are not eligible for a SIN or to work or to start your own business. If you have received a job offer in Canada and that employer has obtained an approved LMIA, then I would recommend you apply for a closed work permit which will allow you to work for that employer.

Good luck.

thank you so much that was very clear.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am in ontario ! i know i cant pass it.... my english isn´t at a good level yet
You might want to look at eg the OINP with job offer (or other programs with job offers). Nothing wrong with using that to get status, work for employer for some period, and then changing jobs in future or starting your own business. I'm not at all an expert though on detailed requirements (including how much time you should remain with employment). Depending on field, your own business may be feasible in non-working hours.

I'm sure there are other options.