+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brampton vs Oakville (in your opinion / experience...)

Determinanta

Aug 23, 2014
Hello!

I applied for Sheridan College both Davis and Trafalgar Campus. One is in Brampton and the other in Oakville. I was accepted into both and now I need to choose.

As far as I can say, from what I found online, is that Brampton is much bigger and cheaper than Oakville.

Oakville, however, seems prettier with the lake.

What I am looking for is a place with opportunities. I would like to save as much money as possible (+ for Brampton). I intend to apply for a PGWP after I graduate, which leads me to thinking: bigger city = more opportunities = more jobs available (another + for Brampton). This also means better chances of getting a part time job while I study.

Whatsoever, I read a forum thread where some people advised a family NOT to move to Brampton, since it is "not a place where you want you children to grow up at". This scared me a bit. Do you perhaps have some (first-hand) information about living and/or studying in the City of Brampton?

I didn't mind comparing the quality of studies themselves, since it is the same College, but two Campuses. Should I be concerned with this too?

I would love if you shared your thought on this. Thank you in advance!

karamatnajeeb

Star Member
Aug 4, 2013
KSA
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
20-03-2014
Determinanta said:
Hello!

I applied for Sheridan College both Davis and Trafalgar Campus. One is in Brampton and the other in Oakville. I was accepted into both and now I need to choose.

As far as I can say, from what I found online, is that Brampton is much bigger and cheaper than Oakville.

Oakville, however, seems prettier with the lake.

What I am looking for is a place with opportunities. I would like to save as much money as possible (+ for Brampton). I intend to apply for a PGWP after I graduate, which leads me to thinking: bigger city = more opportunities = more jobs available (another + for Brampton). This also means better chances of getting a part time job while I study.

Whatsoever, I read a forum thread where some people advised a family NOT to move to Brampton, since it is "not a place where you want you children to grow up at". This scared me a bit. Do you perhaps have some (first-hand) information about living and/or studying in the City of Brampton?

I didn't mind comparing the quality of studies themselves, since it is the same College, but two Campuses. Should I be concerned with this too?

I would love if you shared your thought on this. Thank you in advance!
I would also love to hear on this subject as planning to move my family to Missisaga.

Siawo

Star Member
Feb 24, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 22, 2009
Doc's Request.
May 12, 2009
AOR Received.
May 20, 2009
Med's Request
Feb 1, 2010
Med's Done....
Mar 13, 2010
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 07, 2010
LANDED..........
Dec 18. 2010
Sheridan College is located at the border between Mississauga and Brampton. If you do not want to live in Brampton, you might consider living further down McLauglin Street in Mississauga. The issue most people have with Brampton is that they do not like the schools there, living in Mississauge your kids will go to Mississauge schools and if the above is your issue with living Brampton then that may be a solution.

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
As a generalization:
Brampton and Mississauga are basically Indian in population.

Being a non-Indian living in Brampton, I don't see anything wrong with this nor does it affect me in any way. Perhaps it affects Indian immigrants more though, since in my observation, the new Indian immigrants either get authentic help/support OR get scammed outright by Canadian-Indians, at least here in Brampton/Mississauga.

As for Oakville, it's where you buy a $1-Million house but don't want one inside Toronto.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
I have lived and grown up in Brampton my entire life. It is much busier here than it was when I was young. There are a lot of immigrants living here. There are lovely areas of Brampton, and there are seedy areas, just like in any city. The Davis campus is conveniently located next to a big rec centre, and close to a small mall, as well as a large bus terminal, which is convenient.

Whoever said schools are not good in Brampton, that is foolish. Both Brampton and Mississauga schools are within the Peel region, meaning they are all within the same 2 school boards (public and catholic) so it makes no difference school wise, whether you're in Brampton or Mississauga.

Perhaps before making your decision, you should take a trip down here and decide between the Oakville campus and the Brampton campus. Brampton and Oakville are only about 20 minutes apart, so it won't be had to see both campuses and cities quickly.

If you like a more diverse community, Brampton will be more of what you want. If you want to live in a predominantly white neighbourhood, Oakville might be where you want.

Determinanta

Aug 23, 2014
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experience.

I have gone for Brampton, since I really like cultural mix and fast way of living. The main reason was the price, actually. I found that rental expenses are on average about 30% lower there than in Oakville.

Now I am waiting for my Study Permit to be processed. Hope everything goes well!

I was surprised to see that Brampton - Oakville are cca 20 minutes away. I guess the Google Map makes it all larger. :)

Best regards!