+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Boyfriend from US would like to move to Canada.

rothyn2000

Mar 14, 2018
Hi everyone. My boyfriend is from US would like to move here in Canada. I am a permanent residence and my citizenship is on process. I met him through online dating and I visit him at US twice. We've been on this relationship for 10 years. He want me to move in US but I refused because I already established here foe 10 years here in Canada and I got a stable job. My boyfriend is 62 year old, retired and he had a pension. Here is my questions.
1.Can I sponsor my boyfriend regardless of his age?
2. If not, what is the best way to get him here in Canada?
Thank you.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Unless you are common law or married, you won't be able to sponsor him. The only other way would be for him to immigrate, but given his age, that wouldn't be a realistic possibility. Immigration to Canada is geared towards the young and there is no retirement visa available. Best he could do for now is visit.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi everyone. My boyfriend is from US would like to move here in Canada. I am a permanent residence and my citizenship is on process. I met him through online dating and I visit him at US twice. We've been on this relationship for 10 years. He want me to move in US but I refused because I already established here foe 10 years here in Canada and I got a stable job. My boyfriend is 62 year old, retired and he had a pension. Here is my questions.
1.Can I sponsor my boyfriend regardless of his age?
2. If not, what is the best way to get him here in Canada?
Thank you.
how old are you?

rothyn2000

Mar 14, 2018
Unless you are common law or married, you won't be able to sponsor him. The only other way would be for him to immigrate, but given his age, that wouldn't be a realistic possibility. Immigration to Canada is geared towards the young and there is no retirement visa available. Best he could do
Even we will get married here?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you get married you can sponsor him. Expect some serious scrutiny of your application. Two visits in 10 years isn't much to base a relationship on, particularly if you apply for spousal sponsorship right after marriage.

rothyn2000

Mar 14, 2018
If you get married you can sponsor him. Expect some serious scrutiny of your application. Two visits in 10 years isn't much to base a relationship on, particularly if you apply for spousal sponsorship right after marriage.
How about we get married and I will be the one to move to US and he will sponsor me as spouse?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
How about we get married and I will be the one to move to US and he will sponsor me as spouse?
If you're looking to immigrate to the US, you would likely get better responses if you posted your question on a Immigration to the USA site.

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
My wife is a US citizen. We have been married now for nearly 20 years (we got married July 1998). My immigration case in the US is still in limbo (in my case there are other complications, though).

Yes, you could move to the US and if you guys get married your future husband could petition for you. You could do the same thing for your boyfriend and petition for him to get Canadian Residency. One thing to keep in mind, regardless of what anyone on here says, the "immigration process" is MUCH easier in Canada, than the US.

Generally speaking Canada typically doles out Permanent Residency right and left, whereas the US is extremely strict and limited, and those are just the COLD HARD FACTS. If you go through the process in the US, expect much more scrutiny from the USCIS, than Canadian immigration authorities, due to your age difference. However, if your relationship is indeed legitimate, there is nothing they can do. All they can do is "make you jump through a few more hoops", but eventually they will have to grant you the green card. There is no law that says both spouses have to be the same age :rolleyes:

All that said, If I were you, I would definitely consider moving to the US, as in my opinion it is an infinitely better place (and I know I might get some flak on here for this). The standard of living is much higher, the job opportunities are much better, the legal system is much better and more robust (everything from your money to other consumer protections are far superior), and the cost of living is much lower. What more could you want?

....And just for the record, I just read that a business owner hired a couple of graduates, and then never paid them. The enforcement mechanisms (laws, agencies etc.) simply do not enforce the law, and these people are left out to dry (see link below). I've also read horror stories about banks making mistakes and then simply blaming the customer and depleting their accounts!! (also see link below). Note that this kind of stuff could NEVER happen in the US. The labor department would be pouncing on them so fast, they would not know what hit them!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/anchuan-jiang-companies-owe-money-1.4575201

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/banks-lost-deposits-missing-1.4512196

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/walmart-credit-card-mexico-1.4256154

In fact, I would bet my right arm, that 90% of the people who immigrated to Canada, did so because it was their second choice, because it is nearly impossible to immigrate to the US for normal people (like just having education, experience etc.). You essentially need to have a close relative, or if you are lucky enough to be one of the lucky few, who qualifies through the difficult skill/experience process, it takes decades to obtain residency.

So, bottom line, if you get the chance for your boyfriend to petition you to move to the US, I say RUN WITH IT!!! .....just my $0.02!

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
In fact, I would bet my right arm, that 90% of the people who immigrated to Canada, did so because it was their second choice, because it is nearly impossible to immigrate to the US for normal people (like just having education, experience etc.). !
I'd guess the opposite. Canada in general is most likely a more desirable place to immigrate for most people in the world (due to health care, social services, safety, treatment of immigrants, etc etc) and would be the preferred choice over the US. You're dreaming if you think 90% of all immigrants to Canada wish they could go to the US instead. 5% is more like it if I had to guess.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a Canada/US couple - and we have several friends who are the same. It's pretty much a 50%/50% split between those who have chosen to live in Canada and those who have chosen to live in the US. My husband and I could have picked either country extremely easily - Canada was the obvious choice for us and we never really considered the US. It was the opposite for other people we know. Really a personal choice like many things in life.

Reactions: northern sunshine