+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP way before expiry of CWP

soumyasam

Star Member
Jun 1, 2014
Hi, can somebody please tell whether I can apply for BOWP based on my AOPR? My closed work permit is valid till July 2016 and I fear I may get laid off. So BOWP will be my only option.

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
Unfortunately you cannot apply for your BOWP now. You can only apply for it when your work permit is due to expire within the next 4 months.
Here's the criteria for BOWP:
Bridging Work Permits – Eligibility Parameters

To be eligible for a bridging WP, the following parameters must be met:

• The foreign national is currently in Canada;
    They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;
    They are the principal applicant on an application for permanent residence under the FSWP, the CEC, the PNP or the FSTP;
    They have received a positive eligibility assessment on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
    They have made application for an open WP.
Please note the following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:

• Foreign nationals in Canada under section 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (work permit exempt) situations.
    Foreign nationals who have let their status expire and must apply for restoration in order to return to temporary resident status.
    Foreign nationals whose work permits are valid for longer than four months and/or already have a new LMO that can be used as the basis for new work permit application
    Foreign nationals applying for a bridging work permit at the port of entry.
    Spouse and dependents of the principal permanent resident applicant.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
When did you apply for your PR? It seems like you would have received your PR before the expiry of your current work permit.