+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - temporary worker who lost the job

elenahk

Jun 1, 2020
Hello! I need some help.

My company specific temporary work permit is going to expire on July 19, 2020. I have applied for a PR and got the AOR dated by Apr 14, 2020. As per my understanding it will be enough to apply for the BOWP.

But the issue is...
1) I am out of the country since early March
2) I got laid off because of the COVID-19 impact on the company business in early February

The question is...will I have any issues when crossing the border? Can they know that I'm out of work in Canada?

Because when applying for the BOWP I need physically to be in Canada. I also know that telling the officer that I was laid off is not a good idea, as then the purpose of traveling would not comply with my visa type. Otherwise, I don't see any other options to stay legally in Canada and working before I get my PR.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello! I need some help.

My company specific temporary work permit is going to expire on July 19, 2020. I have applied for a PR and got the AOR dated by Apr 14, 2020. As per my understanding it will be enough to apply for the BOWP.

But the issue is...
1) I am out of the country since early March
2) I got laid off because of the COVID-19 impact on the company business in early February

The question is...will I have any issues when crossing the border? Can they know that I'm out of work in Canada?

Because when applying for the BOWP I need physically to be in Canada. I also know that telling the officer that I was laid off is not a good idea, as then the purpose of traveling would not comply with my visa type. Otherwise, I don't see any other options to stay legally in Canada and working before I get my PR.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
You shouldn't have any issues entering. CBSA won't know your job status. If CBSA asks any questions, you can show proof of your PR app and explain you will be applying for a BOWP.