+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP, SIN Number and Implied Status

alfredo_245

Feb 8, 2015
Hi everyone,

I currently hold a PGWP which expires the first week of August. I have already applied to PR and I am waiting for a decision. If everything goes well, I should get an answer by the first week of November (I applied to PR in May 7th).

I will apply to the BOWP (Bridge of Work Permit) next week. I have been reading and it is likely that there will be a period where I will be in “implied status”. As per the CIC website:

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, R186(u) and R189 (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

My SIN # expires the same date that my current PGWP expires.

My question is: Can I renew my SIN# while I am on implied status? Or do I need to wait until I get a decision from CIC regarding the BOWP? If so, what happens in the meantime in terms of the SIN#? I ask because HR in my company might ask about when processing my payments.

Nate99

May 21, 2015
I have just applied for my BOWP and would also like to know the answer to this.

Does anyone know?

I might call service Canada in a couple of days to ask them?

Hhh466

Star Member
Jul 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HR will still be able to process your payments. They should be aware of implied status. SIN card however will not be renewed under implied status.

k3ndy

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Indeed, you will not be able to get a new SIN number under implied status. Your HR might probably require a copy showing that you have applied to extend your work permit though

IMNA

May 27, 2015
I provided my BOWP acknowledgement to my company HR and they did not ask for SIN renewal. Similar case with my Spouse as well. I did try to renew my health card but looks like I have to wait till I get my PR or BOWP (checked with Service Ontario)

FYI - My PGWP expires tomorrow.So does my SIN & Health Card.

Hope it helps

terulinkarezinka

Apr 13, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I gave our HR and payroll letter from my immigration consultant stating I'm on implied status - quoting the law and printout of the BOWP application. They had no problem with it. We also called Alberta Health and told them how does it work now, when our health card is expired (expiration date was connected to the WP dates) and they said we have to give them AOR (the letter version) after we get it. We told them the new system issues only electronic one and the AH guy asked how long does EE application or BOWP take, we said it should be about 3 months - and he said he will extend our card then, send it to our home address. All done over the phone.

tomkruz

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
I am in the same boat. My work permit expires on Sep 03.
I haven't applied for BOWP yet since i am waiting for 2nd AOR.

Did anyone receive the 2nd AOR ?

I had contacted a lawyer to consult if i can work under implied status.
She said yes.

terulinkarezinka

Apr 13, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tomkruz said:

She said yes.
Never received the second AOR. Our BOWP hasn't been processed yet (we applied a day after submitting docs for EE) and the consultant says we are not able to withdraw it as we are on implied status. Not sure if we will not get rejected as we got PPR yesterday.

k3ndy

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tomkruz said:

She said yes.
You do not get 2nd AOR if you apply through CEC

johnwick32

Star Member
Jul 23, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
July 7
k3ndy said:
You do not get 2nd AOR if you apply through CEC
So I can apply bowp using the 1st aor then. I'm under cec category.