+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP sabotage by CIC

Susie1979

Sep 14, 2012
Hello there,

I am an Immigration consultant in BC. I had applied numerous times for Bridging Work Permit in behalf of my clients. Most of them are TFW in the entry-level/semi skilled category (they usually required an LMIA to come and work in Canada), therefore employer restricted.

It was until the last couple of months that my client's work permit are being refused because according to them, the BC PNP Certificate of Nomination states the name of the employer that nominated my client. CIC thinks that by showing an employer name and NOC number that means they are restricted, therefore my client's BOWP are being refuse. I am wondering why those certificates worked for several months and OWP were approved and now they don't, although they look exactly the same.

Can somebody explain me who will be able to obtain a BOWP from now on? Who would qualify?

I would like to know how many of you are in the same situation, I would like to gather enough evidence to provide my local MP office with this type of case, I would like to see if CIC can provide an explanation on the real use of a BOWP from now on.

Thanks in advance.

min2_always

Star Member
May 18, 2014
I am also refused my file in process after dome
Medical,fees etc. already have been 11 months of file submitted
My consultant said some of the people getting BOWP on same
Situation and some of don't.
I think they had change a rule this year or they did editing on that rule some restriction
On the same rule.there is an written now if the name of employer,location and occupation is
Mention on pnp certificate then you should apply for closed work permit.
Need a job offer letter from employer no need lmo to apply closed work permit.
Thats all my consultant told me.
And one of my friend on this forum told me when you apply for
BOWP just attached nomination certificate no need to attach work permit support letter.
He did this and he got BOWP.

kelbc

Star Member
Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
11xx
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
PNP:22-Oct-2013/CIO:11-Apr-2014
Nomination.....
10-Jan-2014
AOR Received.
09-May-2014
Med's Request
09-May-2014
Med's Done....
22-May-2014/Recv'd:30-May-2014
Passport Req..
26-Jan-2015 / DM: 27-Jan-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Feb-2015 (PP back 13-Feb-2015)
LANDED..........
14-Feb-2015
Hi Susie,

This is a welcome initiative on your part, thank you for the concern and effort to keep CIC accountable.

That said, I thought the restrictions were actual restrictions. This could be a statement regarding that the applicant can only work for their current employer and no one else or only in the NOC code explicitly stated on the Nomination Certificate.

As you said, the LMIA that your clients require impose a restriction on them with regards to the employer they can work for. Is this not a restriction as implied by the CIC?

I believe, regardless of whether it is fair or not, CIC is selectively issuing Bridging Work Permits to people like international graduates holding Post-Graduate Work Permit that are open without restrictions etc.

Despite all this and whatever the seniors of this forum may say, it will be the official statement from CIC that hopefully you can get that will enlighten us all on why this is the path they have chosen and who will be able to obtain a BOWP from now on. This might very well also be another case of out-of-sync policy changes and lack of communication between federal and provincial governments/agencies.

nessjo

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
Doc's Request.
17-10-2014
Nomination.....
20-11-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
mintx said:
I must say I find it troubling that an immigration consultant would come to a forum like this to ask for an explanation. None of the services provided by CIC require the assistance of a professional for regular situations. Still, some may choose to pay one for extra reassurance. Would they still choose to do so if they knew their consultant isn't getting their information from CIC but from a pool of sometimes-but-not-always knowledgeable applicants just like them?
I think that the fact that an immigration consultant HAVE to come to a forum like this proves that CIC provide a serious lack of reliable information. On this page, it says that PNP PR applications with AOR are eligible for BOWP under these conditions:

"Foreign nationals in the Provincial Nominee Program are eligible if they have provided a copy of the nomination letter issued by the nominating province or territory with their application and there is no indication that employment restrictions exist as conditions of the nomination."

It seems like CIC have started to interpret the name of the employer and the NOC code displayed on the nomination certificate as an employment restriction, rather than the YES/NO answer just below this information ("are there any employment restrictions to this nomination"). Susie1979 - in your role as immigration consultant, are you able to give CIC a call and ask about this? In a couple of months, I will be one of those people applying for a BOWP if the PR process does not speed up significantly and my certificate has an employers name and a NOC code on it but it also has a NO on the question on restrictions.

Jan 13, 2015
Hi everyone!
I'm an AINP nominee under employer driven steam, applied for BOWP in Nov, got a refusal on Jan 13, same date I contacted AINP office and they asked me to fax the docs to their office.

Today an AINP agent called me and faxed me a new version of my AINP certificate, where it states that there is no restriction on employment. Then I called CIC and the agent told me that I can apply for BOWP with that new certificate, just have to explain all the situation in the letter and they should refund the first fee payment. But I still have to wait a regular processing time again.

If you received your nomination in September and later you shouldn't have any problem, because it states that there is no restriction on the employment. It is in ALBERTA, other provinces have to check with their offices.

Good luck!

Stacnor

Star Member
Nov 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2014
Doc's Request.
03-03-2015
Nomination.....
02-01-2014
AOR Received.
16-07-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
16-07-2015
Med's Done....
08-08-2015
Martinfromprague said:
Hi everyone!
I'm an AINP nominee under employer driven steam, applied for BOWP in Nov, got a refusal on Jan 13, same date I contacted AINP office and they asked me to fax the docs to their office.

Today an AINP agent called me and faxed me a new version of my AINP certificate, where it states that there is no restriction on employment. Then I called CIC and the agent told me that I can apply for BOWP with that new certificate, just have to explain all the situation in the letter and they should refund the first fee payment. But I still have to wait a regular processing time again.

If you received your nomination in September and later you shouldn't have any problem, because it states that there is no restriction on the employment. It is in ALBERTA, other provinces have to check with their offices.

Good luck!
Hi there, can I ask the contact number of the AINP please. I am about to renew my WP coz it's going to expire soon. Your help be greatly appreciated. Thank you.