+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP Online application and MyCIC

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
arowberry said:
My house mate got his a couple of weeks ago, having applied online. The application was processed as per the times given on the CIC website.

I'm pretty active on this forum and haven't heard of anyone getting their online application refused due to system errors/glitches.

I suspect the online process does need some maintenance (e.g. removal of the strange Travel Itinerary requirement), but I don't think there is any real issue. You'd think if there was, they would disable the online process.
Hi arowberry, what you say makes a lot of sense. Here is the surprise though. I just got off the phone with CIC call centre. The guy actually strongly advised me not to apply online, as he thinks CIC may reject it as online process "may not ask for all the required documents". To that, I told him that last year I applied for it online and it went through smoothly. He said he was surprised to hear it, but he still suggests that I do not apply online.
I then asked him if he can email me a link of where this is recommendation is made, so that I can show it to anyone who asks. So he put me on hold for 5 mins, and then he says "it's more of an internal checklist that we have which says what should not be applied online." Then I asked him if he can send me an email quoting the recommendation not to apply online. To that he says that he cannot 'modify' emails and hence cannot send it. I did not really buy that reason but I did not push it. At the end he again said to me that your online BOWP may get rejected for this reason and you may have to re-apply by paying the money all over again.

I kinda took it as a very polite scare tactic / threat.

And now, I am totally stumped at what to do. Any suggestions, folks? :(

Amisnic

Champion Member
Mar 28, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
NOC 2133
App. Filed.......
30-04-2014
AOR Received.
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
02-06-2015
This is my take on this and the humongous creep time in CEC and BOWP Online processing times - CIC has to make sure the EE is seen to be working as promised, therefore processing of all other applications may need to be sacrificed to ensure EE promises are delivered, therefore the advise to you to not apply online - this is shocking to hear it came from a CIC Agent.

quote author=adipadi link=topic=272478.msg4273122#msg4273122 date=1430855948]
Hi arowberry, what you say makes a lot of sense. Here is the surprise though. I just got off the phone with CIC call centre. The guy actually strongly advised me not to apply online, as he thinks CIC may reject it as online process "may not ask for all the required documents". To that, I told him that last year I applied for it online and it went through smoothly. He said he was surprised to hear it, but he still suggests that I do not apply online.
I then asked him if he can email me a link of where this is recommendation is made, so that I can show it to anyone who asks. So he put me on hold for 5 mins, and then he says "it's more of an internal checklist that we have which says what should not be applied online." Then I asked him if he can send me an email quoting the recommendation not to apply online. To that he says that he cannot 'modify' emails and hence cannot send it. I did not really buy that reason but I did not push it. At the end he again said to me that your online BOWP may get rejected for this reason and you may have to re-apply by paying the money all over again.

[/quote]

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Amisnic said:
This is my take on this and the humongous creep time in CEC and BOWP Online processing times - CIC has to make sure the EE is seen to be working as promised, therefore processing of all other applications may need to be sacrificed to ensure EE promises are delivered, therefore the advise to you to not apply online - this is shocking to hear it came from a CIC Agent.

quote author=adipadi link=topic=272478.msg4273122#msg4273122 date=1430855948]

It sure is. I would be ok if they came out with that as a policy, but this seemed to be a very shady tactic on their behalf to give out soft threats and not go on record. I am highly disappointed in the process.

hegarty147

Apr 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/10/2014
AOR Received.
12/02/2015
Med's Request
18-03-2016
Med's Done....
21-03-2016 (RPRF Paid Upfront March 29th)
adipadi said:
It sure is. I would be ok if they came out with that as a policy, but this seemed to be a very shady tactic on their behalf to give out soft threats and not go on record. I am highly disappointed in the process.
So I am still waiting for my BOWP applied february 24th online ...should i send in another application now paper based ?

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
hegarty147 said:
So I am still waiting for my BOWP applied february 24th online ...should i send in another application now paper based ?
It would be good to know if anyone else has applied post 24th Feb and has it approved. I have a feeling that the CIC agents are just using shady tactics to discourage folks from applying online. If there is any validity to their recommendation, then whats the hesitation about going on record? They could have published a bulletin on their website or the agents could confirm this on email. They are doing none of these things.

Amisnic

Champion Member
Mar 28, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
NOC 2133
App. Filed.......
30-04-2014
AOR Received.
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
02-06-2015
No, don't do that, I assure you that you will get a decision this week - wanna bet?

hegarty147 said:

Amisnic

Champion Member
Mar 28, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
NOC 2133
App. Filed.......
30-04-2014
AOR Received.
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
02-06-2015
Some March applicants have already been approved - see March BOWP forum

adipadi said:
It would be good to know if anyone else has applied post 24th Feb and has it approved. I have a feeling that the CIC agents are just using shady tactics to discourage folks from applying online. If there is any validity to their recommendation, then whats the hesitation about going on record? They could have published a bulletin on their website or the agents could confirm this on email. They are doing none of these things.

wasabi

Star Member
Aug 9, 2014
adipadi said:
Folks,

I am in the same boat. Last year I applied for BOWP online and it went smoothly. I am about to apply for BOWP extension, but I am reading here that CIC call center is telling not to apply online.

Has anyone applied for it online in the last 1-2 months and received it without any glitch / delay?

Thanks,
adipadi
i applied recently for my wife and we received the same as per the processing time mention in website. online is always better compared to paper applications

Happy_Deep

May 7, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 9,2014
AOR Received.
August 2014
Hi guys
I am applying for BOWP. MY PGWP is expiring in JUNE and I applied CEC JULY 2014. I am working with a different employer what I aplied under CEC from a year.
On doc checklist I have one question. I understand I do not need LMIA as I have AOR.

WORk PERMIT
4. Offer of Employment to a foreign National Exempt from a LMIA IMM 5802 with proof of payment by the employer (receipt number). Your employer should provide you?

What I need to do for this? Pay $230 compliance fee and get the receipt and attach with my file? ??? ??? ???

Very confused guys

Please guide me.

Thank you

Happy :-X

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Happy_Deep said:
Hi guys
I am applying for BOWP. MY PGWP is expiring in JUNE and I applied CEC JULY 2014. I am working with a different employer what I aplied under CEC from a year.
On doc checklist I have one question. I understand I do not need LMIA as I have AOR.

WORk PERMIT
4. Offer of Employment to a foreign National Exempt from a LMIA IMM 5802 with proof of payment by the employer (receipt number). Your employer should provide you?

What I need to do for this? Pay $230 compliance fee and get the receipt and attach with my file? ??? ??? ???

Very confused guys

Please guide me.

Thank you

Happy :-X

I believe I have answered your question elsewhere on the forum.

Go back to the 'Come to Canada' questionnaire. When presented with the question 'Do you have a written job offer?', answer NO. A written job offer refers to the LMIA process, which you are not part of. Answer no and you should be fine. As you are applying for an OPEN work permit, your employer is basically irrelevant.

Ansku97

Jan 17, 2013
Hi There!

I have applied online for an open work permit but when i talked to the cic agent she told me that bowp can only be applied thru paper applications but reading the posts here got me a little relieved but im still a little bit worried coz i didnt even attached my AOR that the cic had emailed me together with my file number, because based on the checklist its optional. Should i startworryin now? Or do i still have hope with my bowp application?

Thanks!

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Ansku97 said:
Hi There!

I have applied online for an open work permit but when i talked to the cic agent she told me that bowp can only be applied thru paper applications but reading the posts here got me a little relieved but im still a little bit worried coz i didnt even attached my AOR that the cic had emailed me together with my file number, because based on the checklist its optional. Should i startworryin now? Or do i still have hope with my bowp application?

Thanks!
Unless the Visa Officer is a human potato, they will look up your notes via your UCI and see that you have your AOR. Plenty of people have had to apply for the BOWP prior to having their AOR and have successfully received their BOWP (myself included).

Ansku97

Jan 17, 2013
Hahaha.. human potato.. thanks!i know this is under CEC but my employer just talked to me that SINP does not grant BWOP and it is illegal.. :eek: asked me to cross the boarder to have a new work permit.. i even checked my SINP letter no employees restrictions.. ayayayay.. sooo confusing..

zammo55

Jun 16, 2014
Anyone else had problems with the quiz/wizard and uploading files? They all keep vanishing when I start uploading and sending me back to halfway through the questions. Very strange. Maybe it's the browsers, I've been using Chrome and Safari both with no luck.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Ansku97 said:
Hahaha.. human potato.. thanks!i know this is under CEC but my employer just talked to me that SINP does not grant BWOP and it is illegal.. :eek: asked me to cross the boarder to have a new work permit.. i even checked my SINP letter no employees restrictions.. ayayayay.. sooo confusing..
A few important sections from the BOWP eligibility page:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

#1:
Note: Foreign nationals in the PNP are eligible for an open work permit only if they have provided a copy of the nomination letter issued by the nominating province or territory with their application and there is no indication that employment restrictions exist as conditions of the nomination.
#2:
The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:
- provincial nominees who have not submitted a copy of their nomination letter with the application for a bridging work permit, or whose nomination letter specifically indicates employment restrictions.
#3:
Determining if a positive eligibility decision has been made:
For PNP applications, the status of the Eligibility EC-QC/PNP activity has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgment of Receipt letter or email has been sent by the CIO.

I won't pretend that I know much about SINP's, but it's worth having a read through that page in full.