+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP from outside Canada!! please help!!

Pk994

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
My husband has a valid residence and employment (NOC level A) in Canada and has been there since 2017. He had to travel to his home country (India) on an unavoidable family emergency and now he is stuck here because of the travel ban. We had applied for PR through CEC (Inland and outland dependent-me) in Nov 2019 and there's still no word on that. His PGWP is expiring in a month and we have no clue what to do now because we don't know how long this travel ban is going to be extended. Can he apply for the PGWP extension or BOWP from here somehow??

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
To be eligible for a BOWP, he must be in Canada to apply.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

He may be able to apply for the PGWP extension under Covid but have to look at the rules since he isn’t in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

Does he have a job? Even with a PGWP or extension he needs to show a valid job offer or show that he normally lives in Canada (rent, utilities).

Reactions: Pk994

Pk994

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
Yes, he has a job. His company has allowed everyone to work remotely for a year that is why he was able to come. He has been paying rent monthly too and his salary goes to his Canadian bank account and we haven't used that while he was here either.
Btw I'm grateful for the reply. I'm in a truly hopeless situation with covid and this happening on top of that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, he has a job. His company has allowed everyone to work remotely for a year that is why he was able to come. He has been paying rent monthly too and his salary goes to his Canadian bank account and we haven't used that while he was here either.
Btw I'm grateful for the reply. I'm in a truly hopeless situation with covid and this happening on top of that.
The PGWP extension requires him to be in Canada as well.

When does his work permit expire exactly? I think his only options for extension require him to be physically in Canada. Can he return to Canada to submit the application before his work permit expires? While there are no direct flights, it seems some people are able to travel to Canada by transitting through third countries and possibly quarantining there before traveling on to Canada. He could explore that.

Alternatively, if his employer allows him to work remotely, then he can simply remain in India and work from there until PR is approved.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Pk994

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
it expires on June 6th. We did try the third country route but that isn't working because a lot of other countries have also banned Indians. Even met a few people who got stranded in different places because of this. The ban is till 23rd May but again since it's because of covid we don't know for sure if they will lift the ban.
Is closed WP an option?? I have no hope in our PR because we have been waiting for 1.5 years now and there have been no updates whatsoever. We had contacted our local MP and ordered GCMS notes and everything. Nothing happened.

Pk994

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
Is there literally anything else we could try while waiting for the travel ban to be lifted??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
it expires on June 6th. We did try the third country route but that isn't working because a lot of other countries have also banned Indians. Even met a few people who got stranded in different places because of this. The ban is till 23rd May but again since it's because of covid we don't know for sure if they will lift the ban.
Is closed WP an option?? I have no hope in our PR because we have been waiting for 1.5 years now and there have been no updates whatsoever. We had contacted our local MP and ordered GCMS notes and everything. Nothing happened.
A closed work permit is an option but it would require his employer to get an approved LMIA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
can he get a closed or owp without LMIA? also how long does it take to get LMIA?
An LMIA is a long process. Generally 4-6 months. So you don't have time for that. You haven't said what field or occupation he is working in. But he almost certainly will require an approved LMIA to qualify for a closed work permit.

In terms of OWPs, his options are the BOWP and to extend his PGWP. But both of these require him to be in Canada to apply.

Based on discussions in the International Students section of the forum, it's absolutely possible to come to Canada by flying through a third country.

Pk994

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
He's a machine learning engineer.
We tried flying through Nepal but they changed the rules and the country went under lockdown and he almost got stranded there but made it back right before the lockdown. Do they have any discussions or valid routes listed there that somebody has tried out?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He's a machine learning engineer.
We tried flying through Nepal but they changed the rules and the country went under lockdown and he almost got stranded there but made it back right before the lockdown. Do they have any discussions or valid routes listed there that somebody has tried out?
He needs an LMIA in that case for a closed work permit.

See discussions here on possible routes:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/canada-bans-flights-from-india-and-pakistan-for-30-days.729724/page-5